Not mine but I sold it to Steve, LOL. He put this together amazingly fast, rode it to Slimy Crud week ago Sunday in the rain and got pronged by a Buick on the maiden run. He took worse than the bike did and both are getting around OK again.

SteveXS.jpeg

Lets see 79 special II, fork off a Kwak I think, KTM 17" supermoto wheels, Behr rims. brembo brakes CB1000 rear shocks cut down. tank off a 71 natch, seat off a 75 I think, 79 BS38's. Custom exhaust to come. He says it handles really well and stops awesome. I'm still kicking myself for letting those wheels go.

So here she is, my 1980 special. Pretty much stock except the bars and my half assed spray can job. I'm happy with it though, I think its got a cool grungy feel, I'm thinking about a few more mods to kinda go somewhere between cafe and streetfighter.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMG_20120516_084915.jpg
    IMG_20120516_084915.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 208
twinsarehot was right it's on the wrenchmonkeeys website. On their blog they said a friend of theirs built it but they sold it.....they gave a price if i converted it right it sold for like 14000 bucks

I need help and advise please....I went ahead and bought this beast over 6 months and finally I am able to take it out safely. (When I bought it it had bald tires, no brakes, no power to speed or tach and a host of other issues....and some how I took it for a test drive!!)

I am now at the point, where it is where I want mechanically and its safe, clean and fully functional, but i want to move onto an other project and want to see what you all think about selling it "as is" or getting it repainted and restored to orginal condtion.

And if i did that, what would I serve to make selling as is vs. selling it restored.

Any advice would be great at this point...I am worried about sinking another load of money into it to resture to but it the end I wont be able to make it back...

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 280
I need help and advise please....I went ahead and bought this beast over 6 months and finally I am able to take it out safely. (When I bought it it had bald tires, no brakes, no power to speed or tach and a host of other issues....and some how I took it for a test drive!!)

I am now at the point, where it is where I want mechanically and its safe, clean and fully functional, but i want to move onto an other project and want to see what you all think about selling it "as is" or getting it repainted and restored to orginal condtion.

And if i did that, what would I serve to make selling as is vs. selling it restored.

Any advice would be great at this point...I am worried about sinking another load of money into it to resture to but it the end I wont be able to make it back...

I should note that is 1971 xs1b 650...and someone thought it was a good idea to paint it blue at some point...

My 2 cents is leave restorations to those who want to keep it when they are done. A restoration should be a labor of love, and often like love you end up paying for the privilege. It's hard to call from one small pic but you would have to spend some serious money on a restoration, new paint, new chevrons for the side covers, new exhaust, new spokes, all 4 turn signals and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. Sad truth is highest value is parted out but i hope you won't go that way. Don't know the miles or much else.... I would say 1,000 to 1500 as it sits.

Finished getting her ready for my boy...going to deliver it to him in a few days. New paint on new/old gas tank, new rear tire, fixed a few little oddities that I had simply learned to live with...33 years of fun and enjoyment, I sure hope he takes good care of ol' Bessy.
003-21.jpg

002-22.jpg

004-16.jpg

Very nicely done, Goldy: sweet indeed. I started going down the Brit road with mine, but had a re-think when I got a $600 quote for a Triumph-like tank paint job. I got a tank-top parcel grid - nothing says 'Triumph' like one of them and made up knee rubbers. I'm using what I've got together so far, and it's changed a bit since I posted the pic on thread #1589. Now, it looks like it's going to be a Euro/Brit/early Japanese build. So many ideas, so few dollars...

Thanks, I was pretty proud of it. Surprised the boy with it almost two weeks ago now...he wasn't expecting it at all, so was pretty gob-smacked. Sold his little bike three days later to a good friend who gave it to his wife to ride...she's only 5ft tall so she fits it better. Your bike looks great , one of the guys I ride with has a '77 that I painted up in the same colours for him.

As a PS, it's not an XS, but this happened to my oldest boy two days ago when he was getting ready to turn left into my driveway....he's stiff and sore, but will be alright. Needless to say, he's pretty pissed about the bike. It was a young kid who hit him with mommy's SUV...makes a hell of a hood ornament, don't it?

003-22.jpg

Back