I just keep looking at that swing arm...............

Seems like I remember our ole' buddy teebs did one like that.
Expectations were, well somewhat lowered, in a short time.
Joe wise guy has a kit.

Imported from the USA, my TX650A had been well looked after and was largely stock apart from TPO’s personalised paint scheme as in the first pic. Now it’s in XS650D livery with a disguised Grimeca front brake in a Morad rim, fork gaiters with Triumph-styled retaining clips, progressive fork springs, bronze swinging arm bushings, Girling-lookalike shocks and a 31-tooth rear sprocket. I use a Suzuki double-pull front brake lever left over from another project (and what a sad yarn that is) and shortened Suzi GT750J/GT550 front brake cables. It has Dunstall knock-off megaphones with home-bent alloy supports. I'd prefer flatter bars, but the double-pull cable routing creates headlight clearance problems, so I chose a set with an early Bonnie/Matchless bend as a compromise. A lot of stock replacement parts came from Mikes, and the front wheel, brake stays, natural rubber handlebar grips, cloverleaf mesh and some other minor parts came from Disco Volante in the UK. I can't speak highly enough about that business and its service, by the way. Once I shake it down, I'll put in roller bearing headstock races and make an alloy rear light bracket so I can ditch that UFO monstrosity. I’d also like a set off swept-back header pipes, but that’s yet another set of skills I don’t have. I really appreciated all the online advice I got from the forums to get this far: it was staggeringly helpful to a newbie like me. Soon as I sort out the rich running and some front brake actuation problems, I'm off.

Attachments

• Yamaha TX 650 L. Side.jpg
    Yamaha TX 650 L. Side.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMGP7319.jpg
    IMGP7319.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMGP7320.jpg
    IMGP7320.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP7322.jpg
    IMGP7322.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 245
That tank looks like it belongs; it works! The curvature coordinates well with the overall lines of the bike, and unlike many adapted tanks you see, you can actually fill the whole thing with gas! Nicely done.

Hi
Just finished up building my bike i bought last autom, i'm pretty satisfied with how it ended up. Btw this bike has been in a garage since 1975.. with olny 1000km(~600miles) on the speeder. /david

Attachments

• Xs1ba.jpg
    Xs1ba.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 311
  • XS1b.jpg
    XS1b.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 432
Thanks, dudes. I should have it on the road this weekend assuming the rest of the parts show up. The seat is from my ironhead... I cut about 4" off the seat base and reworked the foam/upholstery so it would blend into the fender.

Props to Yinzer for the tank idea; all i did was distress the finish and weld a mount for the rear of the tank.

here is my daily.
when im done with my cafe project hard tail it will become, but for now this is what i got.

402796_4427202967873_2053302809_n.jpg

here is my daily.
when im done with my cafe project hard tail it will become, but for now this is what i got.

402796_4427202967873_2053302809_n.jpg

I see the taillight or the seat has been changed on that one-- which is it? It appears to be a 80-81 Special with an earlier model taillight, does it have an earlier fender as well?

Grinder with a wire wheel. The paint was really poor and wrinkling from gas and I really liked how it was looking and it worked well with the rawness of the rest of the bike.

Rattle can black to add some depth, sanding to blend it. Rub with an oily rag to keep it from rusting.

I see the taillight or the seat has been changed on that one-- which is it? It appears to be a 80-81 Special with an earlier model taillight, does it have an earlier fender as well?

quite honestly i have no clue. from what i understand my gf dad had one and said it was all original except the handle bars. but im new to these style bikes. i took off the sissy bar also that it had.

Back