Here's my two. Still decing which one I'm going to keep.

0901121300.jpg

0731121900.jpg

I'd vote for the red one. It looks much more stable. I've ridden a couple of bikes with extended forks, squirrely! the red one looks better too. Just my 2 cents.

DLD1

Hey guys! Just joining the forum. Bought this '71 bobber yesterday. Very nice build with hardtail, hughes handbuilt PMA, etc. Looking forward to learning more about the bike and seeing all of the inspiration around here. I have ridden for many years and transitioning from the superbike scene. I grew out of going 180mph. . . time to slow down a little and just enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 236
What's your plans with it?

Nothing is set in stone yet but I'm keeping the frame stock and just going to replace the seat, mudguards, grab rail, and lights with much slimmer items. I'll maybe change the tank too as this one has a few dents in it and I don't know if it's repairable as yet. Other than that it's got to be stripped to a bare frame for a major tidy up!!!

Hey guys! Just joining the forum. Bought this '71 bobber yesterday. Very nice build with hardtail, hughes handbuilt PMA, etc. Looking forward to learning more about the bike and seeing all of the inspiration around here. I have ridden for many years and transitioning from the superbike scene. I grew out of going 180mph. . . time to slow down a little and just enjoy the ride.

Glad you survived long enough to regain some sanity. And I'm glad those superbikes weren't around when I was young...:bike:

Looks good - Welcome! As for the sportsbike scene - yep me too!!

You know, you and Shickly just put me to thinking. We old guys talk a lot about the "death traps" a lot of the younger guys build with rigid frames, extended front ends, no front brakes, etc... The same bikes a lot of us used to build-- myself included. But when you compare them to how fast the superbikes go... the "death traps" don't seem quite so deadly any more. Enjoy the ride. :bike:

You know, you and Shickly just put me to thinking. We old guys talk a lot about the "death traps" a lot of the younger guys build with rigid frames, extended front ends, no front brakes, etc... The same bikes a lot of us used to build-- myself included. But when you compare them to how fast the superbikes go... the "death traps" don't seem quite so deadly any more. Enjoy the ride. :bike:
Super bikes have been around for a long time . The 1969 cb 750 was the original super bike.

I guess you never had a chance to ride a Kawasaki H1 or H2 cause those were and probably still are the most dangerous stock bike ever built . And I would still trust one of those old widow makers more than I would most of the bobbers and choppers I have ridden.

Lots of bitching about the flimsy H2 frames, but I had three of them with no issues. Hard to notice a floppy frame when the front wheel is airborne most of the time....

Norton swingarms and all the drum front brake bikes had their scary sides. Then you consider the crappy tires we rode on.

Super bikes have been around for a long time . The 1969 cb 750 was the original super bike.

I guess you never had a chance to ride a Kawasaki H1 or H2 cause those were and probably still are the most dangerous stock bike ever built . And I would still trust one of those old widow makers more than I would most of the bobbers and choppers I have ridden.

I owned several CB750s including a '69 K1 but those bikes topped out at what 120-130 maybe? I've rode some bikes to 150, telephone poles look like a picket fence. Had a CB bored and stroked to 836 Weber cam and carbs went just better than 140 top end. Today's superbikes can turn 180 and more-- huge difference.

And what was top end on an H1 or H2? 110-120 maybe? 130?

No comparison to a haybusa at 197 from the factory stock. And even the haybusa is slower than it was a few years back.

The fastest bike I have ridden was an early VMax . I got it up to around 150 mph. The traffic I was passing actually seemed more like it was coming at me , more like riding the wrong way on the highway .

But it still felt safer than an H2 at 110 mph . A stock cb 750 might have done 110 on a good day , but that felt like flying .

Last edited:
That's the problem with modern bikes they are so damn good you are just out enjoying the day, feeling it's power a bit.... then you look down and 100-120 is showing on the gauge. Smooth and safe as modern machines seem, the physics hasn't changed, it takes a LONG time or a big bang to dissipate the energy from 100+ before it all comes to a stop.

Hey while you are on here , I am going to send my carbies down to Oldskool . The address I got is from a post in the shop section . 1536 Glasscock Road , Rock Hill , SC 29730. Anyone know if that is the current address ? ( was an old post )

That's the problem with modern bikes they are so damn good you are just out enjoying the day, feeling it's power a bit.... then you look down and 100-120 is showing on the gauge. Smooth and safe as modern machines seem, the physics hasn't changed, it takes a LONG time or a big bang to dissipate the energy from 100+ before it all comes to a stop.

That's exactly why I sold my Triumph Trophy 900, so many times I'd say to myself I'll just cruise at 70ish but an hour later I'd realise I was doing 120, and it's all far too easy sat behind the screen on an empty road! The other two bikes I have at the moment are a Suzuki GSX1400 and a Honda CBR900 Fireblade streetfighter but I can't open the throttle on either of them without risking a big fine and/or a driving ban! This is why I ended up with an XS, I wanted something where I could enjoy giving it some throttle and pushing it on twisty roads but without going into "throw away the licence" territory!

Here is my 81 special got it for nothing my neighbor was going to take it to the junk yard and i asked what he is was doing that for he said its a pos i told him i would take it because i did not have a bike of any kind so he said here you go good luck 0811101921.jpg

here is how it looks now Ps it runs like a champ thanks to you guysdownsize (1).jpg

I am loving the XS. It is a different world than the bikes I grew used to but very freakin' cool. I can't believe how LOUD this thing is! Looking forward to tweaking the built bike to make it my own. Doesn't need much though. Gonna re-wrap the pipes and switch to longer seat springs this week. . .

Here is my 81 special got it for nothing my neighbor was going to take it to the junk yard and i asked what he is was doing that for he said its a pos i told him i would take it because i did not have a bike of any kind so he said here you go good luck View attachment 22454

here is how it looks now Ps it runs like a champ thanks to you guysView attachment 22455

Good deal. The '81 is a rare bird, the only year with a drum brake mag on the rear. I bought a complete '81 just to get the rear wheel. I love spokes but I also love the fact that you can run modern tubeless tires on the '81 wheels for much improved handling.

That's exactly why I sold my Triumph Trophy 900, so many times I'd say to myself I'll just cruise at 70ish but an hour later I'd realise I was doing 120, and it's all far too easy sat behind the screen on an empty road! The other two bikes I have at the moment are a Suzuki GSX1400 and a Honda CBR900 Fireblade streetfighter but I can't open the throttle on either of them without risking a big fine and/or a driving ban! This is why I ended up with an XS, I wanted something where I could enjoy giving it some throttle and pushing it on twisty roads but without going into "throw away the licence" territory!

Yeah, like driving my Mercury Marquis with the police interceptor engine. I cannot drive that car on the Interstate without cruise control. I can't feel the road, there's no noise and no feedback to tell me how fast I'm going. On my XS with the gearing I have I can run 110-120 but I can't help but know I'm going that fast. Even with the fairing on.

Back