License Plates

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I just found out you guys get issued new plates every year!

We get the same plates for life basically and a yearly rego sticker..

So I would love to get a few old USA plates if anyone has some laying around the shed.
Older the better i have a set here from the US issued in 1922 and they are cools as.

Be nice to make a piece to go on my wall with a few old plates.

I'll pay postage to Australia. Shouldn't be too much.

Here in Pennsylvania we have the same as you. We keep our old plates and put a yearly registration sticker on it. I thought most if not all states are like that.

Ohio is the same, we have the option to buy new plates every year or just buy the sticker. I started keeping my old plates back in 1979 and have a few accumulated, it's only recently that I started buying the sticker only. Ohio water craft and snowmobile license plates used to be the same size as motorcycles. My son-in-law collects watercraft plates, his oldest is 1956.

I have seen many license plates crack and fall off because of the vibration of the old XS650 engine. Try telling a cop why there is only a frction of the plate still bolted to the bracket.
:D

Our system (MT) apparently is different than those mentioned above. Interestingly enough, a permanent license plate is issued for motorcycles, trailers, watercraft and maybe other things. Pay once, you're done! No annual renewal fees. Wonder what they're thinking? Anyway, permanent plates (or stickers) are available for vehicles that reach 11 years of age and beyond. Yup, one time registration fees and that's it! Works on motorhomes too! Even can get a permanent personalized plate if you wish. The catch is initial fee for vehicles. Amounts to about 3X the rate of a yearly renewal. Not so with motorcycles etc. though. Fees were $36.75 in 2004. All in, all done. But you must remember our riding season is around 4 months - 6 months for the very hearty!...Wesley

Ya, the vehicle gets a plate for life, unless the vehicles registration expires and you turn the plate in, like a junk car. Then you have to re-apply.
As for the low digit plates....stupid. I saw an active 4 digit plate go at auction for $6,800.00. (Active meaning you can transfer it to use on your car and the number has not been "retired".) It's not even an old plate, just the number. My neighbor bought a 4 digit at a antique store for $45.00, called the DMV and it was still unused. So he has it on his car now. It's just a vain show of prestige and money. The Governor has number 1, asst. Governor has number 2, so on and so forth. People also do it to say, "Oh, I've been here longer". Who the hell cares how long you've been here. These people that buy them are ignorant. Just look at what they drive. High dollar cars with low digit plates. They're stupid too. All you have to do is go into the DMV and ask if they have any low digit. They will give you one. I know many people who do this. They walk in and talk to the person at the window. It might take a few trips, but usually you can find one. It's so bad that if you get a vanity plate it can't be all numbers, has to have letters before the numbers and no use of the combination "1" and "0" together.
Most folks around where I live look at these people as complete tools. It does not impress us...at all. Quite the opposite.
Ridiculous I tell you.

I wonder if I could register my bike in MT and never fool with a renewal again, no matter where I lived.

Incidentally, an old license plate is the ideal thing to put your side stand on if you're trying to park in sand...

The only problem with Delaware having "for life" plates, is that you still need to renew the sticker every 2 years. No problem, except you still have to take it thru inspection every 2 years no matter how old it is.
We have historic plates, but they will bust your ass if they catch you operating the vehicle other then the designated days, weekends/parades.

Good idea on the plate for sand.

Might need an address in MT to register your bike here. My '73 TX, other motorcycles, trailer, motorhome and other 4-wheeled vehicles wear permanent plates. No renewals fees ever, so they say. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Can't make sense of it. My newest vehicle is a '94 pickup so easily met the 11 year age requirement. And while I enjoy the ladies at the license renewal office, I can't say I miss the scheduled annual trips to town to pay the piper. Not very fashionable if new vehicles are the ticket, I guess. Don't have On-Star, GPS tracking device, heads-up display, back-up camera, on-board driving direction assistance, voice operated communication devices, television displays, keyless entry, heated/cooled seats, surround sound, paddle shift, steering wheel control center, ABS brakes or any of the trappings and modern conveniences of a new vehicle. Oh, no sales tax either. One last thing - in MT, there are no annual inspections (safety or smog) either - regardless of vehicle age. I guess we're kinda backward?................I'm pretty sure I am!......Wesley

NWT_plates.jpg

We have quite possibly the coolest plates in the world .. . . the shape of a Polar bear (vehicle - upper, motorcycle - lower)

In Mississippi where I live my bike is an antique, so I get a permanent plate and no sticker. Register it and that's it. Never have to renew or pay again after registration for antiques. Awesome system.

I have a Florida plate from an old bike. Not old, but cool none the less.

We used to get new plates every year here in North Carolina but now it's stickers on the old plates.

Antiques (over 35 years old) can get a permanent plate with no stickers but the best part is that antiques require no inspections and can be insured for 1/2 to 2/3 lower than regular rates.

And Pawl, without a doubt, those are the coolest plates I've ever seen.

PS. NC also allows drivers to find and register old plates from the year the vehicle was made if it's an antique. That really makes for a complete restoration.

Last edited:
NWT_plates.jpg

We have quite possibly the coolest plates in the world .. . . the shape of a Polar bear (vehicle - upper, motorcycle - lower)

Got any old ones laying around you wouldn't mind letting go? I wouldn't mind having one with a story attached :cheers:.

Back