Lids

curt698

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I haven't had a bike for over 15 years and my last bike was an Enduro( 600 XT ). When I had that I wore a full face dirt helmet. So I thought I'd ask here what lids people wear and there favorite place to buy them from.

Dave

- one of the most popular helmets here is the hybrid where the visor and chin protector can pivot up over the rest...my personal favourite though is a simple open face helmet with peak...this is what i wear by choice, even in winter, because i like the feel of the wind on my face..i also believe wearing one of these on a daily basis is the reason i rarely suffer from colds

- the most important aspect is that it fits properly, there is nothing worse than a helmet which slides up over your head as youre riding along at 100mph

- here are some info pages

- best motorcycle gear

- webbikeworld

- helmetstuff

I wear a kbc vr-1. Its that black-chrome, full face. I wear it on long rides, since my baffles on my suzuki are punched, it helps muffle the noise(wish I hadnt done that).
I also have the brain-bucket, and a polo style. Both black.
A dealer helped me fit the KBC, and it fits perfect. Definately try alot of them on to get the best all-over your head feel. You dont want a sloppy helmut, or one that is too snug. You get a headache quick. Definately find someone to help fit one to you.
Like I said tho, I prefer to were the fullface. safer and quieter.

LIke the man from Bell said "if you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet"

Another man once said; "if you think you don't need a helmet, your probably right"

Of course one of the great mysterys in life is, why did kamakazie pilots wear helmets?

- why give a condemned man a last meal request?

- what happens if a conjoined twin commits murder?

Try motodirect.com, just ordered a jacket from there and the prices were pretty good. The service was excellent.

I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 in flat black. It has a internal flip down sun visor and inflatable cheek pads. It's great because you never need to swap shields or wear sunglasses with a clear shield. Plus there isn't a place to store an extra shield on my FZ1. It's about a $300 helmet and I love it. I think I got it from Bobs Cycle because it's close to work and they have a good selection. All my gear is black so it goes with pretty much any color bike. I used to have a red helmet and jacket and decided never to do that again.

Attachments

• Scorpion_exo_1000.jpg
    Scorpion_exo_1000.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 267
Ive had my Nolan N100 for about 5 years & its the best helmet Ive owned. Used on Sports bikes to the XS.
Flip front, so you get the best of both full & open face. Had Arai's before & this is much better

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I guess I should be embarrassed---I have an old "trooper" style helmet that I wear with 25 year-old British goggles and a scarf wrapped around my nose and chin.

I tried a full-coverage helmet, and found out that I'm most definitely claustrophobic, at least with helmets. I felt like I couldn't see enough, and couldn't hear anything at the level I like.

Ive also got a "jet" helmet that I've had since the 1970's, but it's not "approved"---gotta have the sticker, or you get a ticket, y'know. My "trooper" has a DOT stocker, and as far as I know, it's even legal and everything....:thumbsup:

And having said all of that, I think people should wear the best helmet they can get. I just have this thing about being totally encased in one. :shrug:

Barb

I tried to ride my bobber one day without my helmut. Got about two blocks from the house, and went back to get my lid. Wasn't anything to do with noise, legality, or vision. Just felt like I was out of the house with no pants on. I'm looking for an old school open face design with the heavy metalflake. Blue, silver, or gold. There is a person on 'advrider.com' that will restore the headliner in any cloth and design you want. Will aslo paint it to your liking.

It's a shame the Builtwell helmets are not DOT approved, man they look cool!

Though the Fulmers look alright, and one of those orange bubble screens would be a must! :pimp:

Back