lined the tank, now there is no power under load

coughing skunk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Finally got my bike running after a winter rebuild a few weeks ago and now I've been battling fuel delivery issues.

I originally used electrolysis to get rid of all the rust in the tank, which it did, but it turned up some unexpected surprises as well. After the electrolysis I cleaned the tank out and filled it back up with gas, cleaned the carbs and went for a ride. Man what a great dat a motor with good compression can create. Never felt this motor run so strong and fast! Then about 30 minutes into riding my carbs started to pop like I wasn't getting any gas, so I limped my bike home and went to work again. I pulled the carbs and sure enough there was some odd discoloration in the gas in the bowls. I drained the tank and pulled the petcocks only to find large, as is kitkat bar size, pieces of mineral deposits clunking around in my tank and sludge in the petcocks!:eek:

At that point I decided to clean the tank and petcocks and line my tank with Red-Kote. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally put it all back together after letting the Red-Kote cure for 4 days. I kicked it over and it started just fine on the first kick and after warming up it revved like it should. I was all excited and went to go for a ride only to find that as I pulled out of my driveway the bike almost stalled. I feathered the clutch to get the bike rolling and was able to get down the road, but the engine would not rev over ~3k (no tach on the bike) and had essentially no power. Mind you this was running last week like a champ before the carbs got clogged.

I checked and rechecked the following:
-Timing - set, and re set. I've been timing my PAMCO with a light. Adjusted the advance unit so it was advancing correctly.
-Battery - swapped my micro battery for a full size, known good battery. My PMA is charging correctly as I've got 13 V at idle and ~14.3 on revs.
-Carbs - no blockages in jets, running the same tune that ran last year and earlier this year. Dies with choke pulled, even on a cold start on a warm day.

Talked to my pop about it and he suggested replacing the inline fuel filters. So I'm going to pick some more up on the way home from work today and try that. I also just ordered two rebuild kits for my petcocks as one side has a slight leak when in the off position.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Did you make sure to clear all the orifices in the carbs when you checked the bowls?

Sounds like something is still clogged.

When you coated the tank did you plate the holes?
If you plated the holes with shorter screws than the ones in the petcock you created a cap with the redkote. The longer screw will break away the "cap". Or it may tear it and create a flap.
Long way of saying check for debris in the tank.

Plated the petcock holes and then opened them when drying and used a q-tip to clean the Red-Kote from the threads.

Used carb cleaner, a guitar string and compressed air.. but I'll check again tonight.

which is harder than the brass jets, you could have changed your jet sizes very easily, I wish this guitar string idea would just die, compressed air and/or spray carb cleaner is the only thing you should use

which is harder than the brass jets, you could have changed your jet sizes very easily, I wish this guitar string idea would just die, compressed air and/or spray carb cleaner is the only thing you should use

I should've been more clear. Guitar string as in the single filament core. Only thing it could've done is dent the jet and realistically I don't think it has the tinsel strength (forgive me if this is the wrong term, I'm no mech engineer) to do so without bending, or at least not so much that it would change the size of the jet.

Back