lithium ion vs acid lead batterys for my 1980 xs650sg special

This is not unlike oil discussion threads. Will be a lot of opinions.
Now, there may be more than one type of "Lithium type" batteries on the market.
Personally, I have used SuperB LiPoFe batteries for years on various bikes without any kind of issues, except for one voltage regulator failure.
Super B2600 on a RD350 with Powerdynamo (Vape) PMA/CDI
Super B2600 on a somewhat modified Suzuki GN125 with stock PMA/CDI.
Super B5200 on a 1995 Ducati M600 with stock PMA charging system.
Super B5200 on a 1977 XS650 with completely stock charging system.
Shorai on a 1997 Ducati St2. Voltage regulator failed on a German Autobahn, and cooked the battery. The lid came off, and it smelled funky, but not close to catching fire.
Unknown battery on the ST2 after a new regulator was fitted. No more problems.
Based on the above, I definitely will continue using LiPoFe batteries. On the Ducatis, the weight saving is a whopping 4.5 kg or 10 lbs. No problems starting even the fuel injected, high compression 944 cc V twin in the ST2.

title says it all im gettin the hang of this
Hi rick,
my experience with 5 month winter bike storage has me tossing the bike's existing battery
in the fall and buying a new el-cheapo lead-acid battery in the spring.
Year-round riding in Florida lets you keep a battery until it dies (on an XS650, the vibration kills 'em)
So same deal in Florida, Buy an el-cheapo lead-acid and run her till she dies.
Those candy-assed Lithiums shake to death just as quick and cost a lot more.

Definitely have to check your regulator is suitable for a Lithium battery before fitting one.
Well, a lot of battery manufacturers, as well as aftermarket PMA manufacturers all have their disclaimers regarding "suitable for" Imho, that is just a way to avoid litigation, should someone fuck up.
See what I posted earlier in this thread. People have been injured by H2 explosions from lead acid batteries sinc they first were invented.
Saying that, having a voltmeter on any bike is a good thing, for several reasons. Many aftermarket tacho/speedo instruments have a built in voltmeter function.
And I always use a dedicated LiPoFe charger for maintenance charging, or if a battery gets drained somehow.
If any battery gets "killed by vibration" something is definitely wrong. Battery box rubbers missing or rock hard, etc. Basically a BS argument.

If the bike is stock and you have room for it, an AGM battery works for me. I get at least 7 years out of them. I can't comment on LI and wouldn't go there unless I need to hide it or reduce weight. Stating your case will make for better opinions.

Back