Long distance ride

...I put many 400 mile days on the bike during that period with only the factory tool kit with me...

What exactly is in the factory tool kit? I'm trying to figure out what I should pack in my tool compartment besides registration and proof of insurance. Not that I'm riding right now as it is hovering around 20 today. Darn wind isn't helping either.

Here's a thread showing a picture of the factory tool kit. There was one stuffed in my '81. The big wrench is what I use on the lock nut on the cam chain adjuster. The way the hole in the wrench is arranged, if there's no room for the handle to move you can flip it over so it will, as if it was a 12 point. It looks like someone has bent the one in the pic on the rear axle. My kit is missing the pliers and the master link and clip. The Phillips included is the Japanese style.

http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5453&view=previous

Last edited:
I have AAA for my car because i drive old cars as well,ill have to look into that because thats a good idea i didnt think of. my friend with a 71' 650 told me to put fuel filters on too so i guess i should. and my tank isnt terrible but its probly a good idea since its not perfect.

yea i thought about filters before since my tank isnt quiet perfect, so ill probly pick some of those up. and yea im starting to save now so i have enough money in case of some issues, it would have been smart of me to think ahead like this last summer when i drove cross country. im just trying to live and learning

Go for it !!! . Took my 1975 from Calif. to Iowa, and Kentucky and back this last summer. I saw lots of 70s and 80s bikes on the trip. Funny, I didn't see but one of them new fangled " Sport Touring " rigs on the trip, till I got close to major cities. If things are well maintained the trip shouldn't be a problem.

Of course this is just me, I never claimed to be smart ........

John

Back