Long Rod Conversion? I think so!

hugh, considering this mod for your new digger? :thumbsup:

a question: you don't need to do any truing when welding the initial center pin? seems like truing would need to occur?

The centre pin between the 2 cranks..?? Its splined - once pressed together thats it, it does check to see if the main shaft between the 2 cranks is not bent from some idiot attempting to press it apart/together previously.

If you do a search on Hughs crank rephasing write up he goes through the assembly process thoroughly.:D

Michael Morse of http://www.650central.com is developing a long rod and piston with rings kit was told it should be done soon. The rod chosen is 1mm longer than a CR500 rod there are more and smaller diameter rollers for the main, the rod is also lighter than the stock xs650 rod. The piston I am told will be of a forged design with 1mm compression rings. I have already purchased a kit in advance
The Cr500 rod is ideally better suited in my opinion as there are JE,Wiseco and MTC pistions that are readily available for the L/R conversion. As for the 1mm compression ring thickness,again whether or not there are any advantages would depend on who you talk to,thinner rings generally aren't recommended when endurance is the main goal in a street engine, 1.2 1.2 2.8 would be a overall better combination but can't wait to see MMM L/R kit

It's a few years on now but I found this long rod conversion interesting!
Is there any feed back on how well this setup works? or is it too much mucking around?

It's a few years on now but I found this long rod conversion interesting!
Is there any feed back on how well this setup works? or is it too much mucking around?

Its been a while, but to my knowledge the customer is still using this setup in his sidecar rig :thumbsup:

Back