Long time comin'... '82 Heritage restomod

FB71

Expert Turd Polisher
Reaction score
well, Mailman may be doing a sympathetic restoration, but I'm undertaking the 'simply pathetic' restoration... :)
First, don't look for frequent updates; this will be an ad-hoc project, interspersed with numerous other projects and responsibilities. :D

A little history; This is my 3rd XS, over 15 years. Had an '80SG that I sold to buy a V-Star in '05. Sold my hardtail bob/chop last summer to help buy a new car. Noticing a trend? :D I bought this Heritage around 8 years ago, and just stuck it in the shed. Thought about starting it last year, right after selling the chop, but couldn't find the title in this mess of a house (got remarried 5 years ago, and everything got jumbled), and hadn't put it my name yet, so a replacement title wasn't available. Long story shortened, I finally found the title last week, and decided to drag this poor thing into my basement. Started tearing it apart the other day, I'll get to it here and there over the next year or so. No crazy mods planned, but I will be converting to rear disc. Other than that, just a few bolt-on changes will be made. I posted a few pics on the Japanese Vintage Motorcycle facebook page, and got quite a few interesting comments about it's condition... :D Here they are.

Attachments

• xs11.jpg
    xs11.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 304
  • xs10.jpg
    xs10.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 283
  • PART_1522006028952.jpg
    PART_1522006028952.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20180325_152459.jpg
    IMG_20180325_152459.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 289
Well, if anybody can polish a turd up.... I reckon it's you...;)
Keep the updates coming, no matter how infrequent.

That is basically what I started with on the first one I built.A turd with a locked up motor and a massive amount of rusty and corroded metal everywhere else.Enjoying the second XS just as much.Have fun!

On one of the 80 Special's I have in the garage currently I thought I held the all time record for "Mud Dauber" nests in the cooling fins. I am afraid I have to relinquish the title to you sir. Damn that was a kingdom.............

That `82 looks about like the one I got running just a year ago. It was more or less an attempt to just see if I could get it good enough to ride, didn't even polish the turd just washed of the worst of the dirt.

I did have another one for parts less exhaust and frame but even some of the "spare" parts were not that good. If there is anything you find you need let me know and I can at least paw through the boxes out in the barn and let you know.

Can't help on the rear disk as both mine were/are drums. I do have a 1978 with rear disk but that is my current project bike so that one is off limits for now!

That's a ruff.. rough.. had a hard life 82'. I have one.. nice bike. Would not take it on a twisty set of curves. Why disc rear.. ?

That's a ruff.. rough.. had a hard life 82'. I have one.. nice bike. Would not take it on a twisty set of curves. Why disc rear.. ?
Why not? :D
I miss the disc I had on my '80, and it might make it the only Heritage with a disc... Just something different.

That `82 looks about like the one I got running just a year ago. It was more or less an attempt to just see if I could get it good enough to ride, didn't even polish the turd just washed of the worst of the dirt.

I did have another one for parts less exhaust and frame but even some of the "spare" parts were not that good. If there is anything you find you need let me know and I can at least paw through the boxes out in the barn and let you know.

Can't help on the rear disk as both mine were/are drums. I do have a 1978 with rear disk but that is my current project bike so that one is off limits for now!

That's awesome, thanks!! I already have most of the rear disc parts, minus a wheel. I just need to weld the m/c mounts to the frame.

I'm glad I have a rear drum. I can't imagine the hassle of keeping a disk clean back there, damn cylinder exploding, etc. You can easily skid a rear drum, which is too much, No need for a disk on the rear.

... won't it require some weld'd lugs to mount the m/cylinder.... possible different foot brake lever.. ? wonder if these can be match'd with a Sr500 rear disc system.

I have an '82 too, so interested to see how you approach your build. Your starting point was certainly mankier than mine, and I'm not tearing mine right down, just modifying as I go, but wonder what you're aiming for? What kind of look? Do you plan on riding the twisties or more a cruising thing?

Interested old farts need to know!

... won't it require some weld'd lugs to mount the m/cylinder.... possible different foot brake lever.. ? wonder if these can be match'd with a Sr500 rear disc system.

all XS650 parts from a '78-'80 with factory rear disc. I already have all the parts except wheel. And yes, I need to weld mounts to the frame.

Back