Looking add another bike to my collection of projects

winterwolf

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add another project to my collection and looking for opinions/advice on what I've found, since Yamaha is new too me. My stable right now is all Honda and most my knowledge lies with building my Honda's.
As far as I'm concerned, the bike I have found is worth asking price but will probably try for cheaper. Let me know what u guys think.

Add states..."Custom built frame, 35 degree rake, 2" stretch to the neck, 4" stretch to the rear, titled frame, and has engine". Asking $1500

See pics...TIA

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    136.6 KB · Views: 223
  • image2.PNG
    image2.PNG
    135.6 KB · Views: 226
  • image3.PNG
    image3.PNG
    124.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
ask the seller to verify compression. if the frame is solid enuf, slugged and nice welds, go for it. ask for pictures of rewelded head are. if it looks like a bunch of bondo has been applied, or looks like the weld has been re-ran a couple times, run. make sure the head tube is straight.
As far as Honda vs. yama, ive only had yams, and recently got a Honda thumper. and really, its just a difference of makes. Nothing too radically different between the two as far as the basic engineering. Sure, yams have 2 pistons, were as my Honda has one, but basic mechanical concept is the same. suck squeeze bang blow! get a manual.

ask how those down tubes were bent. stock is straight. does the motor fit straight after the frame was modified?

Hi winterwolf and welcome,
Um, where in Canada, eh? It's a big place. Ask the German military guys stationed at Camp Shilo in Manitoba who rented a car to visit Toronto on a weekend leave pass.
Lucky for them a friendly Mountie in Portage la Prairie asked them where they were headed and got them turned around.
But is $1,500 a bargain for an XS650 hardtail assembly kit with a title?
Well, I'd start by offering $1,000 and be prepared to settle at $1,250.
If I didn't have a prejudice against hardtails.
If you want the thing to ride, it's price is OK, especially if it's haggled down a bit.
If you hope to complete the bike and re-sell it at a profit, I ain't sanguine about that.

I agree with others, I'm no awesome bike builder but with those modified down tubes and the neck raked I'd ask a lot of questions and look very closely at the weld quality.

U dont have to be a awesome bike biulder to spot a shit job. Swiss cheese welds are easy to spot.

Back