Looking at a 1983 XS 650 and know very little about this bike

roadie2011

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Been looking at a 1983 -XS650, l have been riding 1100 cruisers with shaft drive for years.
This beast is something completely different, the bike has 14,000 miles on it and looks and sounds awesome. l keep hearing about constant vibration etc, is this bike similar to the say old Honda CB350? How does it ride, what about 2-up any items you would ad to make the handling and performance better. Do these bikes keep there value? Thank-you to all who respond...

Only similarity to the CB 350 is the vibration inherent in a 360° twin.

They are not real happy with two adults, but will do it. Better if total weight is < 300 pounds.

Usual upgrades handling wise are later front forks off a sport bike, better shocks on the rear, new swingarm bushings and Brembo brakes.

Performance upgrades typically include electronic ignition, exhaust, big bore kits and re-phasing. Like all performance mods, it's all in how much you care to spend.

Value is good among a select group of XS aficionados like you have on this site. To the general public, not so much.

cut it up and hardtail it that the best performance upgrade you can do lol just jokeing
they are great bikes for 30+year old bikes 2 up if you both are small ppl ok, theres alot you can do and everyone here would be more than happy to help with info.

TCI ignition on the '83 which is a great setup as long as it's working.
'82 and '83 - known as the Heritage Specials are a two year only model that sported the 64 spoke front rim and the 48 rear and had the blacked out engine case. Canada had an '84 that sported the mags iirc.
Not a bad platform to work with.
Welcome aboard!

Mag wheels with the Drum rear brake on the 83 and 84 Canadian models.

US was the only country to get the Zillion spoke wheels

Loved that TCI on my 83. Imported New to NZ from Canada

Warning Hijack............NJ, Never did find the xsjohn throttle cable mod

Last edited:
Howdy,

Been looking at a 1983 -XS650, l have been riding 1100 cruisers with shaft drive for years.
This beast is something completely different, the bike has 14,000 miles on it and looks and sounds awesome. l keep hearing about constant vibration etc, is this bike similar to the say old Honda CB350? How does it ride, what about 2-up any items you would ad to make the handling and performance better. Do these bikes keep there value? Thank-you to all who respond...

Hi roadie,
I went t'other way, bought my '84 new but later got an XS11SG to haul my sidecar as the XS650 didn't do well on the highway when hauling it.
I swear that Yamaha lets it's design teams use a common parts catalog but keeps them from sharing ideas because apart from some parts that swap over the XS650 and XS11 are completely different machines.
Like the way the seat is held on. Don't'cha love the way the XS650 seat lifts off with the ignition key vs the XS11 needing you to carry a 14mm long socket & ratchet in your pocket as you ride?
Canadian '83 XS650 should have mag wheels and a drum rear. My '84 has a blacked out motor, not sure about the '83.
Your bike still have the stock rototiller handlebars?
You'll be surprised at how much swapping those dorky things for something sensible will improve the bike's handling.

Mag wheels with the disk rear brake on the 83 and 84 Canadian models.

US was the only country to get the Zillion spoke wheels

Loved that TCI on my 83. Imported New to NZ from Canada

Warning Hijack............NJ, Never did find the xsjohn throttle cable mod

Mag Wheels on the 83/84 Canadian Mag wheels had a DRUM brake rear Mag

Corrected the original post.

Back