Looking at used bike, advice and why is it dripping?

JustinBT

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, great site you have here. I should start by saying I rode for awhile a couple years ago but dont have a ton of knowledge about bikes. I rode a newer suzuki enduro that belongs to my father. Now its time for me to buy my first bike. Ive been scouring craigslist and something finally came up in my price range, a 1980 650 Special. I was looking for a gsx-r but like I said, price might be right and I really need to get from A to B. Ill also add I NEED this bike to be extremely reliable as it will be my only form of transportation and if I buy it tonight ill be job hunting tomorrow.
I just got off the phone with the owner hes asking $850 for the bike I don't quite have that much saved so if anything ill be making him an offer. He hasn't done an oil change this season, rode it 2 or 3 times over the (mild) winter. It has new brakes, clutch, battey and tires...all sounds a little too good to be true to me.
My main concern is he says it drips oil from the chain when its parked "its just the type of bike it is" was his explanation. I'm wondering if this is a common issue I can fix simply, nothing to worry about or a sign of worse to come. I did a quick search and I couldn't find any info about them dripping from the chain.
If anybody could give me a couple tips on what to look for when I check it out it would be highly appreciated. I Really need some wheels and I'm in a little over my head. But hey gotta learn to swim some way.
Justin
Ps ive also read through most of this buyers guide to get a few general ideas. Anything 650 specific to watch out for?
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/315253-used-motorcycle-evaluation-guide.html

Usually oil leaking from that area is the clutch pushrod seal. it's a common problem on these bike and not that hard to fix. Do a search and you will find lots of info as many of us have changed this item.

Welcome to the forum Justin,
Another possible source of the leak could be a loose drive sprocket.
Even with the lock tab it seems to back off. Some(including me) have found them just finger tight. A retorque fixes it.
The XS can become a daily rider. But most require HOURS of fiddling to get there.
Along with $ for parts. You could be looking at replacing tires, chain, sprockets, brushes, battery, bulbs etc. All above the buying price.
You don't want spend your only dollars for these. Period.
Fatherly advice here. Find one of the 49cc scoooters. Your price point should locate one that a "Grandma" bought to garage sale on. It will be cheap on gas, from what I see takes a beating and tons of abuse and keeps on ticking.
At this place in your life you need cheap, realible and fun.
The scooter crowd is growing and something of an urban fad so you won't be the only lonely out there.
Keep the XS in mind when are alittle more flush money wise.
Probably not what you want to hear, so if you want tell me to go stuff myself.

650s can be very dependable once you go through them and right 30+ years of P.O. abuse. Buying one and putting it into daily service the next day may not be the best idea. It may let you down. You'll probably need to throw a few hundred dollars at it to bring it up to snuff. You don't even have enough to buy it yet. Where's the money for repair parts going to come from? The 650 is a very good bike but requires a higher level of care and maintenance than many others. Since you don't know much about that you may be better off with something else like a Honda for instance.

Actually exactly what I NEEDED to hear! I can see this bike being a heck of a fun project, some day. When time and finances allow going through every piece of an older engine and making it just so would be a load of fun and extremely rewarding for me. But you're absolutely right about this not being the time in my life to take on such a project. I don't have the time or energy for wrenching everyday, I need to hop on and go without worry. I have a fairly old Honda Hobbit thats taken me a couple miles from home before losing all power so I'm familiar with being on the side of the road and I cant have that right now.
I'm a little hesitant when it comes to scooters, no highway riding would be a little buzz kill as I'm going to need to commute for school and hopefully work but its definetely something to consider. Also after a month or two on a drz 400 I was bored with its performance but I understand its gearing is probably pretty different being a dual sport bike. Maybe I should just make a down payment to the old man for the Suzuki (hes selling) but I'd really like to blaze my own trail.
Thanks for the info grinder. I really appreciate the advice weekendrider and thank you 5twins for breaking it down for me. I think I'll let this one go and keep the eyeballs peeled for something on the newer side. I'm seeing some $1k street bikes on CL from dealerships, I know I still have to do my home work and really check them out but I feel a little safer being able to go back to a business if I have an issue right away.
Thanks a million for the sincere help guys, maybe I'll be back when I have the energy for a sweet project! Take care
Justin

Yeah, these 650s seem to be money hungry. Every time I look at mine I keep thinking of the next 5 or 6 things I want to do and the money involved. My justification....oh, this will pay for itself in 2, 3 or 4 weeks since I'll be riding the bike at 45 MPG instead of driving my truck at 15 MPG.

Still, I thoroughly enjoy my 650 and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I've put too much time and money into the bike and would NEVER get that money back out of it. Even my wife has scolded me for even thinking of selling the bike when money got tight last year.

Back