Looking for a Chevy Colorado

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I went to my Chevy dealer this afternoon and saw that they still have 2010 Colorado with really good discount. 21500$CAD instead of 34000$ for a Colorado LT. That's 12500$ less than the usual price. The engine is a 2,9L, auto tranny, 4 wheel drive. I don't really need a big truck so I was wondering if someone here own one. What the MPG compared to a Silverado ? Some says around here that it's about the same but I guess it should be more efficient in my opinion. Are they reliable ?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks !

From what I've heard the Colorados aren't great trucks. They may have improved them for 2011 but I haven't heard that they have. I have owned a couple Silverados and I LOVED them. I'm actually trying to buy another one right now. I had a Regular Cab, Short Bed, 2wd, and a 5.3 and got about 19 MPG hwy and about 16 in the city. If you have the extra coin I would highly reccommend getting a Silverado over the Colorado.

I was just kidding. But with that mpg it may be a great time to buy it or a bad time, depending on your point of view, because I think gas is going to go up up up.

From what I've heard the Colorados aren't great trucks. They may have improved them for 2011 but I haven't heard that they have. I have owned a couple Silverados and I LOVED them. I'm actually trying to buy another one right now. I had a Regular Cab, Short Bed, 2wd, and a 5.3 and got about 19 MPG hwy and about 16 in the city. If you have the extra coin I would highly reccommend getting a Silverado over the Colorado.

I don't want to pay the extra for the Silverado and I don't need a full-size truck so that's why I was looking for a Colorado. I read a lot of review on internet and it is very confusing. Some says that MPG is very good while others says it's not good. Same thing for reliabilty, some says is pretty good and others don't.

Some says that MPG is very good while others says it's not good. .

I think the mpg is an official number, the one they put on the window sticker, not something to get from reviews. For reviews, it seems like Consumer Reports is good for some kinds of things, or at least it was back in the day.

I think print media is a lot more reliable than things you find on the internet only. People with something to lose stand behind print media to some degree, whereas there's nothing like that behind things you're likely to find on the internet.

its only a 2.9?

Yes. Finally, I changed my mind. I decided to keep my Chevy Cobalt and I find a 2000 S-10 ZR2 for a cheap price this afternoon. The pickup is in very good condition and there's nothing to do on it. This way, I will keep my car to go to work so MPG is no more a problem and I will have a pick-up when I will need it.

Thanks guys !

Last edited:
Yep that's the way to do it in my opinion. I drive my car daily, and have a full-sized 1990 GMC (ext cab, 4x4, 5.7l V8) beater truck that I use when I need a truck. It probably gets less than 12mpg (especially when I'm pulling my 2,900lb boat!) but that's fine because I only use it a few times per month.

I have a Jeep which is my car and truck both, but gets 16 mpg., and my xs650 is my daily ride :)

I had to chime in on this. My 03 reg cab short bed silverado is my BABY! with a few mods...haha. and of course you cant go wrong with jeeps either, love those too cant seem to go with out either of the two very long before another one shows up.

Good choice on the ZR2, I used to work at a chevy garage as a service writer and no one really cared for the colorado. underpowered terd.

Back