Wanted - Looking for a really cheap bike! <400cc THE $500 CHALLENGE!!

Tugboat

*Not An Expert*
Reaction score
The $500 24-Hour Challenge!

How far can our team go in 24 hours on a bike that costs us less than $500? I'm aiming to find out this coming May. My team is going up against four others in a mad dash around Nashville that will test our riding ability, our wits and our mechanical skills.

So we're looking to buy a bike for around $300 since we'll have to replace some stuff. Rules dictate that it needs to be under 400cc. If pre-1984, it doesn't need to have a title. It also doesn't need to have good brakes or tires, or look decent. Tank can be rusty or dented, battery can be missing, chain can be rusty... It doesn't even need to run in its current state! I'd like to avoid having to get into the motor though. And it would be great if it were less than 500 miles from Nashville, TN. Got something (or know of something) that fits the bill?

Potential candidates:
XS400
CM400
CB400
KZ400
GS400
GN400
CB360
CB350
Ninja 250

not many street legal in that batch and I'd guess titles are scarce there too.

No way you could touch that RD400 for the money - even if it is stuck- but if you can (and it has a title) jump on it.

The R5 would be a contender too (seals and rings may be all the motor needs, oil pump may be shot but beggars can be pre-mixers). In fact I'd be looking at old 2-strokes in general--spark plugs are cheaper than cam shafts.

Good luck.

I'd take the CB350 off my wish list - the motor alone is probably worth more than your budget and racers will be lined up to get it.

this sounds like fun and some shit id do! $500 bikes are get'n hard to find got a few bikes out of the weeds for under that still in run'n shape. Good luck!

Back