looking for bike info/parts bike etc

ChopsCA

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

long time lurker, first post.
I just picked up an xs in pieces. looks like nearly all of it is there, has a TC bros hard tail already installed new wheels and tires, carbs etc, almost everything i need to do my bobber build.
the vin is #447-70976-6, its a canadian bike and from what i can tell, its a '77 xs650B

i searched the forums, but no luck on trying to find out which years are compatible if i could find a parts bike. Does anyone know?

the big parts a need for sure so far are engine covers, triple tree top and bottom, starter, or starter delete if there's one available, bike also has kickstart.

so would i be better off just buying these parts on their own, or finding a parts bike?

also, anyone know where to find these parts aside from Ebay?

many thanks in advance

just double checked the tech section, looks to be a 76-77 xs650D, code 1T3.

So does that mean that only 650D's from 76-77 will be compatable donors? or could a get something a little newer? i've got a line on an '82...

thx

The parts you need can be found here on this forum also. For the tidbits allot of us use MikesXS store or as you know "ebay". If your not in a hurry you can find some good deals, just keep looking till you find the part and price that`s right. Parts on that year bike are allot more common then the early models. 73` and up covers are all the same, the tree`s I`m not certain on but I`m pretty sure they are the same as far as mounting...fork tube size I`m fairly sure are the same after 73`. Starter can be deleted but I have never done it.
Good luck.

The forks from the '82 will work. It also has an updated clutch you could swap in. The charging system and ignition parts differ some but overall, there's more you can use than not. I would get it. It may also have the right clutch cover with the oil sight glass, handy to keep an eye on your oil level.

Back