looking for helpful hints for prepping engine for paint

mfrad17

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy to all my XS loving friends. I am in the process of a bobber build, and would like to know if there is any special prep work that should go into painting an engine. I didn't even want to paint the engine, but the jug and head look like crap. I bought the 1200 degree ceramic paint, and just wanted to know if there is anything I should do before I start blasting away. I thought that the jug and head have a magnesium coating on them, and didn't want to waste a bunch of time and money if thepaint wasn't going to stick. If anyone has any info that would help me in this endeavor, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wire brush and then "Easyoff" oven cleaner, cheap and effective. p.s. let it sit for a bit before washing off :wink2:

You can also use aircraft remover if there's any old paint on it. Make sure to wear goggles and gloves, it's some pretty harsh stuff.

And then, after you think it's all set, spray it down with Acryli-clean from PPG and blow it off with air to get all grease or oil off.

In my car so no way to find my old thread, but I did this on a Honda motor and it turned out great. I used a very thin coat of a self etching primer, just a dusting, before a few coats of engine enamel. Ummm.. The brand escapes me- not rustoleum- the other major us brand. Duplicolor! The paint takes a few heat cycles to fully cure, so you have to be very careful with it when youre putting the motor back in the frame. There's more room in the 650 frame than there was in my 350F, so it might not be that bad.

It's all in the prep. Clean the he'll out of it.

There is a product to prep aluminum for painting. I do not remember the name but I have used it ion the past. Tony C

My brother and I tried to paint his GSXR frame and swingarm and used an etching primer but it didnt take. We hung the frame over a propane heater to cure the paint and after we took it down, you could flake the paint off with your fingernail. What did we do wrong?

Sorry, didnt mean to Hi-jack

This is a good post and it seems a few of us are in the same boat! I got my engine all torn down to re do the top end and will soon be painting my engine soon! I was wondering if a guy couldnt just take the parts he wanted panted and have them bead blasted and then you should be able to spray right over them,correct? Ive also heard that after youve had something beadblasted they usually look really cool and then you might not wanna paint em!!

XsC

Etch prime from a spray bomb isnt a true etch, it contains only enough acid so they can get away with calling it that. A good prep job and ultra clean surface is a must! Red scotch brite and a blunt stick works good for getting in between the fins....

I sandblasted my head and cyclinder and then washed with soap and water, dried them out with the air hose, let the sit for a day or two till i got back to them and sprayed them Harley's (H-D) texture black paint from a can. Pretty spendy though $20 bucks a can. But turned out real good and never peeled or flaked off, and it's what harley uses on there air cooled motors so it must be good stuff (heat wise, won't absorb the heat)

I just used engine brite, folowed directions, and rinsed it really good, let it sit to dry for a few days, and used duplicolor engine paint. tough as nails.

This is the 350F I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• Motor-Fresh-Paint.jpg
    Motor-Fresh-Paint.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 426
Gordon, I'm not usually into chopping/bratting/bobbing the xs but that bike is sick!
I am seriously rethinking my thoughts.

All kinds of props!

Last edited:
My brother and I tried to paint his GSXR frame and swingarm and used an etching primer but it didnt take. We hung the frame over a propane heater to cure the paint and after we took it down, you could flake the paint off with your fingernail. What did we do wrong?

Sorry, didnt mean to Hi-jack

Did you remove the factory clear coat off of it first? You can use easy off oven cleaner to do this also.

This is the 350F I mentioned earlier.

That looks badass, if my engine would turn out that good, I wouldn't even want to paint it. Did you have it all torn apart, in order to get it looking that good, or was already assembled? The problem I have is that my engine has already been put back together, I really don't want to have to tear it down again.

I had the top end off. The bottom end was having no work done; I taped off the top of the cases where the jugs are applied. I took the sidecovers off for polishing, wraped them in saran wrap, and kinda put them back on to keep paint out of the motor. Painted the bottom end like that.

For the top end, I taped off the bottom of the jugs and the breather cover opening, valve tappet openings, paper towels in the inlet and exhaust ports... other than that I painted it "assembled".

Back