Wanted - Looking for stock or tracker-type xs650 in California

Ceed Klumper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought an all-original 1976 with under 5,000 original miles, here in California. When I pick it up in two weeks' time, I will post some photos.
The sentimental aspect of it is that, in 1976, I turned 16 and my parents gave me my first motorcycle, well, a 50 cc Yamaha FS1, blue as the XS650 I just bought. Had tons of fun with that little moped and I am sure the XS650 will be no different. Look forward to learning all about these nice bikes. I like to do all my wrenching myself. And riding it more than it has been so far. I commute to work in LA from Marina Del Rey on either a BMW C650 sport scooter, a BMW G310R sport bike, and so now add the 650 to that mix.

Picked up the bike this morning. 50 mile ride home early Saturday through the canyons surrounding LA and Malibu. Bike was stalling at traffic lights, idle too low. Otherwise ran like a champ. Almost entirely original. Issues are a leaking (and I mean leaking like a seave) fork seal. Which has left a nice generous coat of fork oil all over the front brake disk and pads. So no noticeable front brake action. Leaking petcock so strong gas fumes all the way. Other than those details, couldn't be happier. Had several guys come up to me already, reminiscing about their good old days and complimenting the bike's condition. Just put in my order at MikesXS for the necessary parts. Looking forward to many happy miles with this beauty.

You do know we like pics here.... right? ;)
A suggestion.... start a thread in the "Garage" on your new bike and post the pics there.
Oh... and welcome to the forums.

Thanks Jim, will do. Pictures are not my strong suit, got to host them someplace I think, always a hassle. But will figure it out.
00O0O_hi7IHXe1w4M_1200x900.jpg

Sweet!!!
Just host 'em here (Gallery tab at the top of the page).

Thanks - though honesty dictates to say that it looks new from just a few feet away; come up close and you see a lot of 'patina' from the past four decades. I've seen photos of other 650's here that I am sure look a lot shinier and newer than mine. For example, the clearcoat on the aluminum wheel rims is no longer there in many spots, there's scratches and some tiny dents in the tank, the decals are a bit cracked, that sort of thing. Still, I do intend to keep it as much as possible this way, and only replace, if possible with NOS parts where that makes sense, things that need replacing, but not replace or otherwise really spruce up (like the rims) anything else. See my other thread on this bike, 'The French Blue '76'

Back