Loose bolt... engine ticking?

RVA804

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The yellow circle in the picture highlights the bolt. This nut/bolt was very loose... could this be the answer to the engine ticking noise? It's been bothering me since I got the bike a few weeks ago. Too late to fire it up... will have to check it out tomorrow but i really hope this is what the ticking was coming from!

Attachments

• path3347.png
    path3347.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
It's possible... In stock configuration (or modified config as well I guess!) these motors shake and need to stay bolted in place. I kinda doubt that's your noise tho. Never know, I HOPE you tighten it down and it's fixed tho!

It's possible... In stock configuration (or modified config as well I guess!) these motors shake and need to stay bolted in place. I kinda doubt that's your noise tho. Never know, I HOPE you tighten it down and it's fixed tho!
I tightened the bolt as soon as I noticed it was loose. Here is a video I took the other day...

You should check all the mounts. If one was loose, many of the others probably are too. Out of all the engine mounting bolt torque values I've found, I prefer the ones from the '77 manual .....

Revised%20Engine%20Mount%20Torque.jpg

I concur - I'd guess that 65 ft-lb would either yield that bolt in tension or shear it off.

Typo?

Yeah, I listened and if that was a small block Chevy I'd say exhaust leak! Almost sounds chirpy... But it's fast like valve train. tighten bolts and try again? Use a mechanics stethoscope (a length of fuel line to listen thru as you put the other end to various spots on your motor running or a long screwdriver with the handle on your ear) and maybe you can isolate it as well. I had a valve STEM one time that squeeked and sounded KINDA like that from wear. Oddly, I changed fuel, added an upper end lubricant to my oil AND fuel and the noise went away. YMMV!

Make sure you set the cam chain tensioner first, then valves.
Have you checked the oil since you bought it? Checked for bits of cam chain guide?

Yes, I don't know what was up with the huge increase on the #5 bolt torque value in the later manuals. I don't agree with or use it either. Seems "bolt bustin" tight to me. As I said, I like the '77 listings best, they make the most sense to me. In fact, I like the whole '77 torque spec chart the best. Values are given in ranges instead of just one single number. You can download the '77D Supplement that includes this torque chart for free here .....

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/xs650-77-xs650d-supplementary-manual/

So the engine ticks like this when I first start it (it's been in the 50's) and then goes away when warmed up. Using Rotella 15w-40

There was a post about which oil to use and there were many people saying 15w40 rotella is the best. And then after I changed oil I read another post and people were saying to go with 20w50 and that rotella will make cause louder engine noises. As long as the rotella doesn't cause any damage then I am cool with engine noise, for now.

These engines do seem to have slightly noises valves - it honestly didn't sound too bad to me....

These engines do seem to have slightly noises valves - it honestly didn't sound too bad to me....
Yeah I think you're right. Side note: I forgot to thank you for sharing your story in the other thread about how you dropped your bike. I wont share it again here lol but I'm sure a lot of other people have done that and after hearing about it from you I will now be sure it doesn't happen to me haha.

...as my Mom would have said: " Don't be too sure about that young man!"

As we all get a little older and a little slower, things like that may happen to anyone. Also, while I am very attached to them and try my best to keep them in nice shape, I actually ride my bikes - no "garage queens" for me - so if I get a ding, I just say "it's a motorcycle not a grand piano or Stradivarius violin".

My other ride is a big HEAVY Honda ST1300 and on the ST Owners website, each member has an entry in their address panel for the number of "Tip-Overs" they have "achieved". I've only had one (so proud - it was on a road should made of 5 inches of
IMG_0166.JPG
soft sand) but lots of guys have had many. You can even get a Tip-Over Club Award sticker.

When a 730 lb motorcycle wants to lie down and have a snooze, it ain't easy to persuade it otherwise.

Pete
IMG_0089.JPG

Back