Loose fork ears

2xs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why my fork ears are loose between fork clamps. I have completely stripped bike and trying to reassemble back together now but my memory is that the fork ears were a nice tight fit. I have installed tapered neck bearings and the top bearings sit higher than originals would that be the cause? If so what have people used to fill gap or overcome issue.
5CF1E98B-DD5D-43F5-9636-E3DF6CB40313.jpeg

Local hardware store.. " O " rings.. at the top..above the chrome ring.. get the thin ones... are you sure bearings are seated.... ?

Yes confident race and bearings seated correctly. Mine is a 73 so maybe this is a common issue with early xs bikes? Thin O rings- are people using multiple rings or trying to bridge gap with just one?

I've used 1/8" o-rings on the fork tubes to adjust for the tapered roller bearing height on an RD. Not sure if you can find them at the hardware store - I ordered them off ebay.

If you have a hydraulic repair shop near by they would have a good assortment of orings. Just don't expect them to know the size you need. I could tell you what size to ask for if you tell me the diameter of the chrome shaft of the forks. Or is this the same size as a 1972, 1978, or 1982. Have fork parts here I could measure.

Thanks all who replied some good thoughts and ideas. Will try to hunt down some square edged o rings here in NZ and I like 5 twins idea of putting on bottom of fork ear under chrome shroud to hide

Back