loses power, won't idle, trouble starting

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I think this problem has been developing, or it could be a couple different problems. It started on the freeway at about seventy miles an hour. The engine lost power and felt like it was running out of gas, but then gained power back, and went back and forth. It felt like when you are bad at water skiing and you pull too hard on the rope and then relax, so you get jerked forward and then are left behind. That lasted about forty miles, until I got to where I was going, but it let up some towards the end. For the trip back I but some carb cleaner in with a fresh tank of gasoline and it ran smoothly the 120 miles home. That was early last week. I had run a few errands around town since then with no problems, so I thought the cleaner had done the job. But yesterday on a short hop across town it didn't start right away, then died at idle before I got out of the garage, and at a stoplight. As long as I kept the rpms high it would stay going, but even at 15 miles an hour if I went to second gear the engine would die. I'm now pretty good at clutch starting a motorcycle. It was the same on the trip home. The battery has a charge, the spark plug gap is only a little wide but otherwise they are clean.

I've had this bike (1981 Special) for over a year and have never had the carbs apart to clean them. If I had to guess I would say it's just gummed up. Any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Any estimate on how long it will take a first timer to take apart and rebuild his carbs?

Do you have a fuel filter between your tank and your carbs? Debri can easily find its way into the carbs.

The carbs are pretty easy to take apart. I would pull them and soak them in that carb cleaner stuff you get at the auto parts store.

The other issue could be electrical. You could be having charging problems.

If you still have tube fuses check them for loose end caps and tighten up their clips and see what happens. Easy to do.

Could be a petcock screen / vacuum petcock issue also. How does the tank look inside?
The BS34's have a small screen above the float valve seat. You should have new o-rings on hand before pulling the carbs apart.
I budget;
three hours or more,
a hand full of Q tips,
various tooth and brass brushes
About 5 or 6 screw drivers. several ground to fit in deep holes and fit a brass slots correctly
A hand impact wrench.
a 12 hole muffin tin.
Magnifying glass to read jet sizes and inspect threads and holes in jets.
The patience to quit and try again later if I start to get frustrated.
A thorough read of one of the excellent carb overhaul guides found here before starting.
can of spray carb cleaner
Roll of paper towel.
Clean bench and a nice big clean piece of cardboard to work on.

Use caution removing jets, if a jet won't budge be very careful a stripped screw driver slot or gouged thread can ruin a set of carbs.

Back