Loss of power when in gear?

1982XS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm lost with this one. I have an 1982 xs650 running with pod filters and rejetted 1 step up on both the main and pilot jet. It was running great, then after a few days of riding I went to start it up and it idle'd perfect. Then i put it in gear and started driving in first gear and could feel it wasnt running right. When I shifted into second I could really feel the loss of power between 2k rpm and around 3500 rpm.

Brought it home, tore apart the carbs checking for dirty jets but they were fine. Put it back together and it ran good again. Next day started it up and back to the lack of power between 2k and 3.5k rpms.

Things i've done to the bike include changing jets 1 step up from stock for pod filter and replace carb boots. Not sure where to start with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

2 things come to mind. the carb guide says 1 size up on the pilot helps a stock 34 mm carb bike, and 2 up is recommended for pods. Also, do you have the adjustable needles? If not, you may want to get some. You are flat right in the transition between the pilot jet and the needle. If both are lean, it won't want to accelerate as the timing advances.
Battery voltage is important as well. These bikes don't tolerate a weak battery.

Back