Lost spark on PAMCO

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey

Today was a shitty day.

I go out to start the bike, it's hesitating, but I'm getting along for 1km. untill it is unbearable. Fill up the bike, apparently I used 12l. in no time (Fuel leak perhaps, can't see it).

I go on, get in, bike rides like it always does, which is fine.
At school till 3pm. it's been raining most of the day, not heavily.
I start the bike as per usual, no problems at all. Drive 300 meters, dead.

No spark, here is what I have done.

12,85v across the poles, bike not started.
Tested spark with a spareplug I had, no spark either sides.
Caps dry, wires seem fine, can't see why the shouldn't be.

Tested kill switch, read 10v with lights on (This is after many start attempts, so volts dropped), switched to off positions, voltage dropped to 0, as to be expected. I deemed it working as intended.

Connections on the coil are tight, HOWEVER, where the gray outer insulation ends, the insulation on the small wires have cracked 180 degrees around. Splitting the wires to ensure no shorts made no difference. Black earthwire had two wires cracked, continuity was there though.

Checked the printboard, which wasn't burned, only thing I made of that. I have lights and everything else but a spark. My grounds are good.

This setup has been working for a good while, bike has been sitting out in various weather, but today it ended.

How should I proceed? Had to leave the bike 10km. away from home and take a taxi, so tools a limited.

Oh yeah, cracked a tooth trying to get the aluminium tip off the sparkplug.

Edit:

Tomorrow I am going to remove more of the gray insulation so I can give the individual wires some electrical tape, if that doesn't work I'll shorten them up beyond the cracks.

Atleast I can rule that out then.

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like you're way ahead of me in the diagnostic department - I suck at this kind of stuff - but I'm really puzzled by those cracks you mentioned. Were they bent or stressed at all where they were cracked? Also, are the magnets still in place on the PAMCO rotor? Just a thought, as some folks without the fender washer fix have had them dislodge, I recall.

And because this seems to have been a gradual degradation, I wonder if your coil itself has flown the coop.

TC

Yeah the magnets are in place.

They where bend as they exited the grey insulation, but not anything crazy.

Pete: Is the grey insulation anything special? Extra resistant to heat or so?

Could a short between the signal wire/hot wire/earth cause death to the coil and or ignition? I guess it could.

I'd guess so as well. Is there a way to check for power to the coil as well as out of it? I find it telling that you have no spark on either side. That might not definitively point to the coil, but it seems curious.

If you don't see something loose, chances are real high you're going to need a new part and that it'll take a few days to get there, so I would concentrate now on getting it the 6 mi. back home. Then I'd start by checking the coil with a meter to see if it's gone. If not then you need a Pamco part, if so, you need at least a coil and perhaps a Pamco part. But get it home first.

Could a short between the signal wire/hot wire/earth cause death to the coil and or ignition? I guess it could.

Try this test on the coil and the PAMCO:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

If the PAMCO fails this test, then PM me for warranty details.

Coil tested ok, besides plug terminal to plug terminal, which was infinite.

Posted via Mobile

I didn't, I am not able to produce a spark, so I can't do the test.

Posted via Mobile

Do you have a meter or are you using a test light?????
Follow Pete's TESTING both red wires have voltage
Did something fail (FUSE WIRE CONNECTOR)
Follow what he listed and they are easy to check.
I would follow voltage from switch all the way to unit and i bet you find the problem.
I run a fuse on all my electronic ignitions so i got a place to fail if something happens.
You could have a burnt wire and not see it under coating happen to me before drove me nuts. Check with Pete if you can just hot wire IGNITION to see if you got spark without burning it up.

I use a multmeter, checked connections with the meter, so no burned wires. I checked what pete asked me to, but couldn't test his ignition as I wasn't able to get a spark.

Checked voltage at the primary terminals, and I had power there.

Posted via Mobile

Did a second coil test 23,5k between plugs through the two 5k caps.

So coil is ok.

Posted via Mobile

lassenc,

OK. I'm not sure I understand. Did you not do the test because you were not able to get a spark using some other test, or did you attempt the test I suggested and were not able to get a spark?

Uploading pics now. Did the pamco test, no spark, and a tiny brown spot left of the blue resistor.

A first I didn't do the pamco test because I had no spark and coil yesyed faulty. But the coil is ok, did the pamco and no spark. I rode 2000km. with the setup. Will pm you when I get home

Posted via Mobile

Unit replaced, spark returned.

I'd like to thank Pete for an AWESOME service!

Back