Low Compression After Top End Kit Install

formline

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've installed Mikes XS Large Fin, Stock Piston Kit and now I have REALLY low compression. New stainless valves seated in head, rings installed properly. On a leak down test it sounds like its going in the crankcase. Mikes swears that there is never a problem with this kit. I've pulled the engine a few times and rechecked everything, cam chain to crank, valve clearence etc. The bike runs on the left side with very little help from the right. Question, can a cam chain stretch enough to have valves slighty open even with the cam chain tensioner adjusted? Also I don't remember any honing marks on the new cylinders. I've thought about ball honing the walls and reinstalling. Has anyone else had a problem with this kit from Mikes? Any suggestions?

Are you sure you installed the rings with the correct side facing up? The side with numbers and/or letters stamped on it should face up.

The rings are facing up and spread out around the piston. The cam to crank is just right. This weekend I finished the whole top end on my 1975 and it runs flawlessly. I'm going to put a new cam chain in with a new tensioner and guide and check the ring gap on the new set thats installed. Ball honing might hold the oil on the walls and help seat the rings? I'm pulling out my hair on this one. I keep working on other bikes and keep putting this one off but now it is time to face it, AGAIN! Thanks again for the replies so far.

Back