Low profile "Cafe" seat Build

_XSesive_

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I wanted to improve the look of my stockish '81 Special and the first thing to go in my book has to be the ugly stock seat. I did some research and found a few seats online that I liked in the Cafe style that I thought would look good, Motolanna, Chappelle Customs seats looked great, what was not great is the price of these things, anywhere from $150 to $350 for a decent seat. I thought I could build one to my tastes for a whole lot less, so here goes my first attempt at any kind of fabrication. (on a motorcycle that is)

Here is what it looked like before i did anything

Attachments

• IMG001.jpg
    IMG001.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 171
Next I reused the front mounting "tang" from the old seat and attached it to the new pan.

Attachments

• IMG060.jpg
    IMG060.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG055.jpg
    IMG055.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 195
On the old seat there were 2 thick rubber feet and 4 thinner ones, i drilled my holes and mounted them accordingly to the seat pan based on the gap size between the pan and the frame. I also tried to space things out to distribute my weight evenly.

Attachments

• IMG070.jpg
    IMG070.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG069.jpg
    IMG069.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG068.jpg
    IMG068.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 194
So when I got to this point i started to look around for a good padding material, I found some stuff online meant for seats and some other dual density foam looked like it would be good for this application but to get the pieces I would need it was gonna cost around $25 to $30, which is more than I wanted to spend. I did not want to do all this work and end up with this thing to costing as much or close to a premade seat, My Goal: Looks Great, Costs Less, LOL, So what I ended up using was three layers of foam rubber that I glued together with spray adhesive.

Attachments

• IMG083.jpg
    IMG083.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG080.jpg
    IMG080.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG079.jpg
    IMG079.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 181
The foam I found at WallMart. It is actually a workout mat. I decided to use it because it was cheap (10$) , it was more than big enough for my needs, and its made of foam rubber which will stand up to years of mechanical abuse without disintegrating, its water proof,it wont absorb water, and it will not rot. also it is a nice medium to firm density that wont just squash out flat. Perfect stuff!!

Using the same template I used to cut out the pan I traced out patterns on the foam and cut them out, then used more spray adhesive to attach everything together. first pic is 2 layers and rest are finished padding with 3 layers. you can also see how I used a very sharp long bladed knife to "round" the edges of the foam.

Attachments

• IMG089.jpg
    IMG089.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG091.jpg
    IMG091.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG092.jpg
    IMG092.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG093.jpg
    IMG093.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 257
Nice! Is it comfortable? I might do that and add a top layer of foam from my old seat. If I can manage to stitch up a cover by myself I'm going to try that route. Otherwise mine may end up looking like yours. I'm making the pan out of fiberglass though...

haha, I can't wait to see this... I planned on doing a rebuild on mine and realized how much more I need to do to my engine than I thought. Now I'm left doing the rest of the budget on a budget of absolutely nothing.

Back