lower the forks with a lowering kit?

vsop-dk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I bought a 2" lowering kit from Hughs Handbuild, and ive managed it so far, that the forks are taken apart, but im Not exactly sure how to Mount the lowering kit further?

Should the two holes in your lowering kit be placed above the hole in the rod?

Or should the hole with the nut be alligned above the hole in the rod?

In the pictures attached, can anyone tell me wich images is correct?

My Best bet would be the two holes should be alligned above the hole in the rod, allso as illustrated in one of the images.

Last question. Im using the 2" lowering kit, and by removing the spacer thats 1,5" and Not removing some of the spring. Would that make the Steering harder and would it still be lowered 2" or just 1,5"

Thanks for helping out. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• foto 1.jpg
    foto 1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 153
  • foto 2.jpg
    foto 2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 369
  • foto 3.jpg
    foto 3.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 208
Hi xsfreak, yes im aware. It just doesnt say how to allign those spacers, and from what i can see the spacers i have are a little different of what Hugh is illustrating!

Hi 650Skull, ive done that allready, bit guess he has alot else to do, than answering emails, therefore im posting my question here, hoping someone known exactly what todo. tnx

My understanding was that you want the hole on the damper to align with the hole on the spacer. The threaded hole with the hex key is to lock the spacer in place.

The hole in the lowering kit needs to align with the hole in the damper rod. Not the hole for the set screw. What spacer are you talking about? The top out spring? You should leave that spring otherwise there will be no spring on that side of the damper rod and it will be spacer against bottom fork tube. I don't remember exactly how much I cut off, but I want to say I went .5" shorter for a little stiffer ride. You can experiment a little just be sure to smooth out the cut on the spring a little before you put it back in.

Wherearewe and FrkyMnky thanks for the feedback, yes did it as you were Both suggesting and the forks are Now lowered.

My forks were without a tiny spring on the rod, so i added the lowering 2" part and tightened the lock nut in the back after alligning the holes in the front. I didnt cut off any of the spring, If i should have done that it would only have been a centimeter, because the spacer were 4cm long and allmost alligned the 5 cm the lowering part were.

Thanks

It appears you are working on '77 forks. They were an oddball one year only configuration. They had no little top out spring but you could add one from a later fork set if you like. Removing the preload spacer should be enough without having to shorten the spring.

DamperRodTops2.jpg

Thanks 5twins for the image and reply. The strange thing is that im having 3 sets of forks, 1 pair is from 76 and second is from 83 and the last one i have is the ones ive lowered and they look all the same? Could it be because it's perhaps European models?

Anyways they are Now lowered and assembled and look all just fine. looking forward piercing it all together.

Well, if the forks you have are the years you say, they should all be different inside. Damper rods and spring lengths will differ. The '83 set should have the top out springs. The '76 set should have 34mm diameter fork tubes, other two sets 35mm. Yes, they do "look" nearly the same from the outside. Also, the fork caps should differ. The older two sets would have a plain plug cap. The '83 set would have a preload adjustable cap, or at least it would in the U.S. .....

ForkCaps.jpg

The plug caps i have are all identical, Not like the ones you show above. Allthough the springs inside looks different, there are No smaller springs at the rod. Ony the long springs and the spacers are different in size.

Anyways it works and looks great. Eventually ill take some pics and post them here.

Ohh yes, the 76 forks are for 298mm calipers and the two others are for 267mm

Back