Lucas rear light

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just removed the christmas tree that I as a rear light and wanted to mount a Lucas look-alike thing instead. The new light only has to wires. So when I connect it I either have breaking light or rear light. The old one had to wires and earthing(?). Any chance I can make it work or do I have to buy a new lamp? I'm completly disabled when it comes to electical stuff so please be gentle.

I am going to assume the light is meant to be a running light and a brake light(does the bulb have 2 filaments?). If so hook one wire from the tail light to the blue wire, the other to the yellow wire, and ground the body of the light to the frame to complete the circuit.

Yes, the light is meant to be a running light and breaking light, but there is no wire for grounding. Can I ground the body of the light with a connector from one of the mounting bolts?

Yes, the light is meant to be a running light and breaking light, but there is no wire for grounding. Can I ground the body of the light with a connector from one of the mounting bolts?

Use the harness ground wire for the original tail light and attach it to a mounting bolt of the Lucas repro lite.

Maybe. Look at the bulb holder and see if and how its connected to the body of the light, because I believe the bulb holder is the ground for the bulb. Hook a continuity checker onto one of the wires and touch the mounting bolt to see if the circuit flows, bulb should be be in the the socket.

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks a lot. Good thing I didn't go back to the shop and throw the light at them in pure anger.

I just wired mine up. I hooked the Lucas black wire to my blue wire. Lucas red to my yellow, and grounded the fender. The Lucas has no ground wire cuz, it's grounded to the fixture. My stock 75 fender needed to be grounded, all works good now

+++nj1639 - the 2-wire socket in the Lucas re-pop taillight that I bought was a cheap POS. Stock Yamaha 3-wire socket fits right in. I use a Superbright LED to get max rearward visibilty with miminum current draw (offsets the draw from running lights in front, also standard Yamaha 3-wire sockets).

Back