Luggage Rack Installation 101

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
Cleaning off the shelves in my garage, I came across my forgotten XS650 accessories.

I have a luggage rack, head/back rest and the slip-on cushion and two pairs of brackets.

Its obvious that the terminal ends of the luggage rack slides fits onto the upper bolts for the rear suspension springs. Unlike some luggage racks I've seen, my rack doesn't have welded on mounting holes for the taillight area. I assume that I should use brackets to secure the rack onto the bolts for the turn signal assemblies.

Back-rest: There appear to be two welded-on nuts on the underside of the rack to secure the position of the backrest (using two bolts).

I don't see the shorter brackets securing the rack to the turn-signal bolts. The rack is much further apart than the brackets can reach.

Where do those twisted brackets go (see last image)? I recall having some slats of wood (I may have pitched them) - perhaps they fit atop the luggage rack with screws...? There are holes in the metal slats where wood crosspieces once were...perhaps..?

Am I missing an pay parts/hardware?

The luggage rack and backrest have some rust on the chrome plating. Is it cost-effective to have them re-chromed or is that very expensive to have done?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Luggage_1.jpg
    Luggage_1.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 519
  • Luggage_2.jpg
    Luggage_2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Luggage_4.jpg
    Luggage_4.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Luggage_6.jpg
    Luggage_6.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Luggage_7.jpg
    Luggage_7.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 257
  • Luggage_8.jpg
    Luggage_8.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
If the shorter brackets fit the tube of the luggage rack snugly, slip them on and line up with the turn signal bolts. Use longer bolts and some bushings to take up the slack or a union(long enough to take the slack) nut on the original bolt and put a bolt in the other end.

The longer twisted brackets may have fit over the tubes your back rest slides end and fastened at the license plate bracket but I'm just guessing.

Back