M-Unit Wiring (Starter)

Cadergray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My 83 cs 650 is my first bike build and when I received the bike (for free) it hadn’t run for years. After a couple days we got it running but the wiring was shotty. I am doing a cafe racer build and decided to replace my loom with an m-unit blue. I have started wiring the unit in finally but I am terrible at wiring and when I wired my starter in for testing the frame ground wire was smoking. I am using 6 gauge wire from the battery to the solenoid with a 40 amp fuse. The solenoid clicks on when I hit the start button but the starter doesn’t turn and the wires get hot. Also no warning lights flash on the M-Unit. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thank you

Unhook positive terminal from battery post. Just as a precaution, I'd first unhook the 6ga from the starter motor itself and tape it up to keep from potential arcing until you get the issue sorted.

Can you roll-over the engine via kickstarter or rotor nut?

It's unusual, but the starter itself could be locked/frozen or even shorted inside. The gear-train between starter and crank could be bound-up or mis-assembled.

Those issues will require right side-case removal. I'd verify those issues before going back to electrical diagnosis.

Any pics or diagrams of wiring will be helpful. I am familiar with the M-Unit.

Last edited:
Unhook positive terminal from battery post. Just as a precaution, I'd first unhook the 6ga from the starter motor itself and tape it up to keep from potential arcing until you get the issue sorted.

Is there continuity between the starter motor terminal stud and engine block?

It's unusual, but the starter itself could be locked/frozen or even shorted inside. The gear-train between starter and crank could be bound-up or mis-assembled.

Those issues will require right side-case removal. I'd verify those issues before going back to electrical diagnosis.

I agree with JP above. It sound like something is stuck.
Im also a novice auto-electrician and installing an an M-Unit. Im hoping to start the Ignition side today.
Have you bench tested the M-Unit with a mock up loom to see its actually working?
The power up phase of the m-unit has to complete to self check its systems (All lights fast pulse for a while from a cold / initial power up).
It a simple process with a battery / Common grounds, plus a lamp wired to test the circuits and a switch of some sort.
Try You tube for help (Classic Octane / Cognito / Revival Etc...).

Hey JP thanks for the advice! I can get you some pictures of the temporary harness once I get back from Air National Guard drill. So first I can kick the bike over, I have disassembled the clutch adjustment screw because it has gone bad and I need to source a replacement. Also I don’t believe the starter is bound since we used the starter to originally start the bike. Although it has sat for some time so I may need to double check the gear train like you mentioned.

I agree with JP above. It sound like something is stuck.
Im also a novice auto-electrician and installing an an M-Unit. Im hoping to start the Ignition side today.
Have you bench tested the M-Unit with a mock up loom to see its actually working?
The power up phase of the m-unit has to complete to self check its systems (All lights fast pulse for a while from a cold / initial power up).
It a simple process with a battery / Common grounds, plus a lamp wired to test the circuits and a switch of some sort.
Try You tube for help (Classic Octane / Cognito / Revival Etc...).
Hey Adam! Sounds like we can do our M-Units together! I did setup a bench test and paired the M-Unit with my phone.

The starter draws a lot of current (35 - 75A) so the wires from the solenoid will get warm. Obviously the "frame ground smoking" is bad.
What size wire is the frame ground?

The starter draws a lot of current (35 - 75A) so the wires from the solenoid will get warm. Obviously the "frame ground smoking" is bad.
What size wire is the frame ground?
Right that’s why I had the 6 ga going from the battery to the solenoid but my frame ground is also 6 ga

OK. Obviously serious issue somewhere. Post back when your service is completed and when time allows. A sketch of wiring layout is helpful too in addition to pics. Might be prepared to remove and examine starter & its guts - depends on what wiring shows.

Double check that the frame ground is on bare metal on both ends. When I test-ran mine it also got smokin' hot and it turned out the ground strap was not getting clean contact. I added a temporary second ground strap from one of the case bolts to the negative terminal and problem solved, so I knew the existing ground was insufficient.

Whenever I swap wiring I always beef up the ground wires, file contact points to bare metal and add a smidge of dielectric grease. It doesn't take very much paint/rust/oxidation to significantly reduce continuity.

Double check that the frame ground is on bare metal on both ends. When I test-ran mine it also got smokin' hot and it turned out the ground strap was not getting clean contact. I added a temporary second ground strap from one of the case bolts to the negative terminal and problem solved, so I knew the existing ground was insufficient.

Whenever I swap wiring I always beef up the ground wires, file contact points to bare metal and add a smidge of dielectric grease. It doesn't take very much paint/rust/oxidation to significantly reduce continuity.
Awesome will do, I was guessing something wasn’t getting grounded correctly. Next time I work on the bike I will try these new solutions. Also my bike never came with a key, any ideas on how to get the gas cap open?

So is there a way to get the old cap off without the key? I’m going to replace the cap and I don’t need the original ignition key because I am putting a new one in. I don’t have a local locksmith because I live in the boonies.

So is there a way to get the old cap off without the key? I’m going to replace the cap and I don’t need the original ignition key because I am putting a new one in. I don’t have a local locksmith because I live in the boonies.
1659562542766.png

In the red circle, see the tab. Push it back toward the lock. Use a can opener or small screwdriver, or....

OK. Obviously serious issue somewhere. Post back when your service is completed and when time allows. A sketch of wiring layout is helpful too in addition to pics. Might be prepared to remove and examine starter & its guts - depends on what wiring shows.
Alright J I have returned from drill, I pulled the starter this morning and it was very rusty and I had to extract the bolts this ruining them. The barrel of the starter and the copper pads are very worn and have surface rust. I think it would be in my best interest to get a new or used starter, but I can’t find any on eBay. Any suggestions?

Maybe pics to help evaluate - rather rehab than replace if possible

How did the ground check-out per Mike above?

Here ya go -

Attachments

• STARTER XS650.pdf
    875.9 KB · Views: 111
Back