mag wheel drum brake issues again

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
i've got a set of mags on my sled now cause the tires are good, drum rear that when i hit the rear brake the brake stays on unless i roll backwards a bit to unlock it? this started a while ago, and i took the rear wheel off and had to beat the axle out to get to the drum, and the bearing came out with it, so i greased it all up good and threw it back togather. i asked up here about it and it was said i messed bearing up, so i figured i would run it until it started to make noise. i just went to the store for a beer in 34 degree weather and it started to do it again. i heard that the drum rear mag was an oddball year ? i have a press , so should i push bearing out? to get at brake again ? or will a spoke drum fit in there? or just trade mags for some spokes and call it a day? thanks all [/U]

if the brake is locking on it could be due to worn out shoes or more likely the shaft that the lever mounts on is dry and sticking in the brake plate/ take it apart and put some grease on that shaft and replace your bearings while your at it

I guess I can cut the bearings off the axle shaft. When I put it back to gather the shoes were like new and I greased up any pivot points , it's just weird for this to happen so soon. Didn't know if this was a common thing or not. Thanks for input guess it's bearing time or see how long it will last. It's just a pain in the ass to stop fully to disengage the rear brake. And I have to use it as the rear is my brake light

there is a dimple on the end of the brake cam shaft that is supposed to line up with the slot in the lever, you should need very limited movement to have the shoes make contact with the hub drum is your foot lever spring ok? the spring that goes on the brake rod? wheel bearing are cheap hope you didn't ruin the wheel spinning a bad bearing in the hub

Your days in this world are numbered if you keep "fixing" things on your bike like that, lol.

no wheel bearing was fine, i rolled it and checked for roughness and lateral play, so i threw it back in.thanks 5twins, but i think all our days are numbered, too bad they only subtract and dont get added. I read that the mag drum combo was only on the 81 edition, so is that worth anything? I don't really care weather spoke or mags, i just want to ride. I was curious if someone restoring would be interested in them. I tend to warp things in my own twisted vision.

a> id="smiley_61718_hmm.gif" onresizestart="return false;" alt="" title="" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" align="bottom">
... when I hit the rear brake the brake stays on unless i roll backwards a bit to unlock it?... i took the rear wheel off and had to beat the axle out to get to the drum, and the bearing came out with it... I guess I can cut the bearings off the axle shaft...
How in the world did you get the rear wheel off if the bearing is seized on the axle?
homer-thinking.gif

If it were my bike (and it's not) I'd pull the wheel and inspect the hub where the bearing goes. If that's ok I'd replace the bearings, seals and the shoes. A cracked or separating shoe could be causing it to stick like you describe.
hmm.gif" id="smiley_61718_hmm.gif

i was trying to get to the drum brake and in order to get it off i had to remove the axel shaft , so i hit it with a block of wood so as to not damage it and proceded to beat the hell out of it to get it off, shoes were new on it when i got rims less than 500 miles on them, axle came out with bearing still attached. so it started again and i guess i will either fix it or ditch the mags for spokes

Back