Making battery cables

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Alright ya'll I've got some battery cables to make but I don't have a crimper. Is there another method I can use. I was thinking to heat the clips up put the wires in and solder the ends into the clips. Do I need to crimp them or will the solder create the seal I need?

Thanks!

can put the wire in ,then take a flat screw driver or chisel and bend down along the center then solder up . can clamp a piece of angle iron in a vise then run the wire down the middle with the end on the edge of the angle iron . this will hold the wire and clamp end in place while ya give it a controled wack . or just get a cheapo crimping tool

crimped then soldered is best, if making heavy duty (E-start) cable with 6 guage wire and terminals I use a propane torch with lots of flux (soldering paste) heats everything up quicker than a soldering gun or iron so it won't melt the wires insulation as bad, slip a couple pieces of shrink tubing on to the center of the wire to cover the end bases of the terminals after they cool

I go to genuinedealz.com and order them! funk all of that they charge a buck an end to install them and shipping is free plus it is marine grade wire.

I can rebuild my engine but I don't change my own oil in the truck. I'm getting lazy or smarter in my "old" (30) age:laugh:

haha i agree. to much money or lazy. half the fun in having a bike is building it a maintaining it. i would use a torch fill the connecter with solder and put the wire in before it cools and your good to go. for added strength you can wrap that small section in electrical tape, colored for positive and negative.

Back