Man attacks roo trying to drown his dog.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Dogs chasing roos is nothing new in Oz, if there is water nearby, the roo will jump in the water and when the dog swims out, the roo grabs the dog and drowns it. However, there have been cases of roos grabbing dogs and holding them in a headlock when nowhere near water. In this case, the dog's owner was a Brazilian Ju Jitsu instructor and saved his dog by wading in and distracting the roo, getting scratched up in the process.
This particular roo was a big boy at 2.4m apparently, probably a bit exaggerated, but as you can see he wasn't a pip squeek.
Roos are everywhere in Oz, yes, even in suburbs of our cities. It's an unfortunate fact that many people walk their dogs off lead, and dogs being dogs, will give chase. We've had a few attacks in the nearby wetlands, dogs and people. Most nights, they leave the scub and wetlands and make their way through the streets where I live, tuckers a bit different on our front lawns I guess. They aren't as cute and cuddly as they look. By the look of this fellow's ears, he's had quite a few punch ups.
A few years ago a guy let his dog chase a roo in the bush, the roo grabbed the dog in a headlock so the guy went in to rescue his dog, punching the roo in the face. He received quite a few death threats after that incident apparently.

Last edited:
Wow, that's one muscular monster. I'm glad we're living rooless. The black bears are expected to move in here soon, not looking forward to that.
We have been getting some reports of the black bears not all that far from here. Then again I'm kind of thinking they were here years ago as just a bit south of here there is a State Forest of around 3,500 acres Called Bear Swamp and there have some been reports of sightings over the years.

We have been getting some reports of the black bears not all that far from here. Then again I'm kind of thinking they were here years ago as just a bit south of here there is a State Forest of around 3,500 acres Called Bear Swamp and there have some been reports of sightings over the years.
I lived with black bears for 10 years. When we moved into the house, we had to keep all of our garbage inside. That turned out to be because one of our neighbors was putting out corn he said was to feed the deer. Once that was resolved the bears moved on. One morning my wife was standing talking on the phone in her office when a bear walked by her window. Her office was in town! No, the bears were never really any trouble and I saw plenty of them. Just leave them alone and don’t leave stuff out to attract them.

We are lucky in Oz, no bears, tigers, lions or anything like that. It's only occasionally a roo will attack, always the old man protecting his girlfriends or drowning a dog some dope let chase a roo. Just don't leave you babies and young kids unattended at Ayers Rock or Fraser Island. Although there have been some cases of packs of dingos surrounding and biting people, all because the visitors insist on feeding the things. And then there are the salties up North. Years ago, when I was a kid, Salties were hunted, my uncle was a Croc hunter in far Noth QLD back in the 50s. Unfortunately, crocs are now a protected species and their numbers have exploded.
I lived in Katherine in the NT back in the early 90s, we used to go swimming at Crystal Rapids, Low Level and other places, not any more, now you have to be extremely careful around any waterway in the NT. There have been sightings of crocs as far South as Fraser Island in QLD.

Grew up swimming in the bayous of the Texas and Louisiana Gulf coast. Never really gave it a thought then but now I know about all the gators, snakes and snapping turtles I wouldn’t give it a second thought about never doing it! Lol

Back