Marco Simoncelli

I heard this is the first death in gp history.
this should be in the lounge with the other thread on the same topic.

why Angus? the garage is for anything motorcycle related, the lounge is for anything otherwise. sorry for starting a thread that already existed, as im a phone only user, i dont much look in the lounge. Franco Uncini was very matter of fact about it, and i think so will be all the riders. they all know the risks! Angus, maybe the 1st fatal since Moto GP, thats only been a few years. cheers

My God I just watched that...... I thought he low sided but it looks like he recovered and went across the track? Tried to watch it a second time but hurts too much. Wow I'm in shock.. Its like Ayrton Senna all over again..... RIP Marco

Man that was horrific. I had it recorded and I was gonna watch it tonite, and saw this thread first. I just watched it, and even though I knew it was gonna happen it still took my breath away. It looked like Colin knew by the time he stopped sliding that it was all over.

The last death in GP was in 2003 on the 500cc two strokes, it was a Japanese rider named Kato on a Honda satellite team, there was one last year on the Moto2 circuit too.

....The last death in GP was in 2003 on the 500cc two strokes, it was a Japanese rider named Kato on a Honda satellite team, there was one last year on the Moto2 circuit too.

its not surprising that people have died in GP, yet alone survive a full season without any type of injury. but damn, theyve got balls to ride as fast and close as they do around those turns etc. got to give them mad props

The week before, Ben Spies crashed in practice at 170 mph and was not allowed to race due to concussion symptoms, and Jorge Lorenzo lost the end of his ring finger in a practice crash, and was unable to race. This is serious, dangerous stuff.

MotoGP has lost a real talent and a great character.

RIP Simo.

John

why Angus? the garage is for anything motorcycle related, the lounge is for anything otherwise. sorry for starting a thread that already existed, as im a phone only user, i dont much look in the lounge. Franco Uncini was very matter of fact about it, and i think so will be all the riders. they all know the risks! Angus, maybe the 1st fatal since Moto GP, thats only been a few years. cheers
I say this because we just had a thread about post-whoring. in the lounge, the counter is off.
I bet we wouldnt get posts in the lounge like " I agree, a devistating crash", or" he will be missed"
alot of responses to this(including mine) are just enuf characters to get it in the thread.
dont get your panties in a bunch about it.

Got to see him race at Laguna Seca this year! He was a lot of fun to watch. When he would get in a battle you knew it was going to be great. RIP SUPER SIC. Rossi said he was like a little brother to him. It was known that they were great friends in and out of the sport. I hope Rossi does not blame himself and I know Marco would want him to ride on ...
I have never seen such a random get off like that. For the bike to gain traction and turn so sharp back accross the track. So sad

Posted via Mobile

Marco is the second death during competition since the MotoGP era began Japanese Rider Dajiro Kato was the first. That is why MotoGP and World Superbike do not compete at Sugo, Japan anymore. The word, although not official, is that the throttle stuck going up the hill to the last chicaine. Anyway, he did not make the chicaine, and hit the retaining wall about 10 feet above the ground, going over 100 MPH, in front of over 1110,000 Japanese race fans. Video is very hard to turn up. Multiple racers who witnessed the event say he never slowed for the chicaine. Dangerous stuff, racing.

just to point out, Kato crashed at Honda's Suzuka track. Yamaha's Sugo track is a different venue. Thank the gods that the mortality rate is so low these days, it was a miricale to survive those earlier days of racing. My hat is off to all those pioneers, be they alive or dead. Cheers

Posted via Mobile

Suzuka. Correct. My mistake. I have noticed that Supercross is taking a toll lately, fortunately not fatal, but lots of leg and spine injuries. Hate to see that, but love any form of bike racing.

Back