Master cylinder re build kit?

Guss80special

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1810.JPG

Hi. I'm trying to install a front master cylinder re build kit from xs650direct for my 14 bore front master cylinder on my 80 special. I cleaned the parts really well, cut off the plastic clip over the second air vent hole and made sure everything was really clean. However I kinda pulled the old parts out quickly and now I'm not sure where it all goes especially that black cap looking piece.

See pics for options. A, b or c ??? Or other. Seems like A is logicsl, but the cap doesn't really fit to anything nicely. IMG_1813.JPG

Thanks for any help :)

A. The two cups/pistons push fluid to the caliper when you apply the lever. When you release it the fluid slips past. Any line pressure is relieved through the bleed hole.

Ist there something that goes between the spring and and that one cup, metal disk or something? My diagram calls for a "spacer" there but doesn't show it. Actually it calls for a "shim" on the other side of that cup too. If it's the same kit Mike's sold 10 yrs ago, mine is still going strong.

Thank you.. so I tried option A and it works. I bench tested it and it works. Also got fluid plumping through the upper hose. Nothing to the lower hose though after a 100 or so tries. I think I'll get some new hoses :) single hose likely. Thanks again for the help.

Guss: you can always go on www.boats.net - they have complete Yamaha parts schematics which show exploded views of every assembly on the bike.

You do have the downloadable manuals - don't you? They're usually much more comprehensive than Haynes/Clymer etc.

There are several MCs but this is typical, both order and the mung found inside.
mc guts.jpg
Fluid should run through the lines and out the bleeder without any pumping. Gravity should do the job in just a couple of minutes, if not, you don't have a clear passage.

Last edited:
Guss a good way to keep track of progress is to put a sight line on the bleeder valve and leave it(the bleeder) open. When the fluid is about half up the sight line use a syringe to push the fluid back up into the system. Do NOT overfill the reservoir or you will have a mess. Do NOT push it too fast or you will have a mess.
Tie/pack damp rags around the master cylinder and anything the fluid may get on in case of spills.

Yes gggGary some of them can be ugly and still brought back to life.

IMG_20170416_103605_033.jpg
IMG_20170416_113124_823.jpg
IMG_20170416_110935_890.jpg
IMG_20170416_185405_813.jpg

Back