mccafe or cafe on hot chocolate budget

xsben

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm a noob, just thought id start out right. I have been into cafe racers for about 10 years but have finally just got the funds to do a little project. I have already started, I bought a 79 xs650 special. it runs but has already started with some of the basic problems like corroded connections causing my blinkers on one side not to work. I have a new rear tire that needs to be put on and I also put on my clubman bars last night, the xs special bars do not look good upside down...... I have already read a ton on here in the past couple weeks and I will do my cam chain tensioner and valves soon but I need to get it legal for street first so this is where i am starting. I also cut my foam seat and pan into a cafe seat and cut the "ears" off the seat pan that comes on the special. while messing about the other day I found my front brake reservior completely empty, i filled it and realized the brakes need to be bled. a day later i came into the garage to find brake fluid dripped all over. The diaphragm inside the master cylinder looks like a popped balloon, could this by my problem? should i rebuild it or by a new one? I am trying to keep this a super low budget build as much as possible, hence the name mccafe/ cafe on hot chocolate budget. I will post some pics soon, i just have to get them off my cell phone. Also is it possible to flip the stock headlight ears to make the light a little lower?

so questions are,
rebuild the front brakes with new diaghram or by a new setup?

can you flip the headlight brackets to lower the headlight?

ok, i just found my answer after some better searching, the headlight brackets can be flipped, I will do this to push the gauges a little lower and not so in the way. also anyone have any more info on the xs650 built by camilo pinzon ( google it if you haven't seen it) was this a special? are those stock length shocks? hopefully someone with a bit better knowledge can give some details on this sweet looking bike, i want to build mine like this.

It is a special (look at the upper shock mount location.) Shocks are definitely longer than stock - maybe Redwings? Not many pictures to go from...

I also thought that about the shocks, but i've only had an xs special for about 2 weeks so i didn't really have anything to compare with other than pictures. thanks.

Here's a youtube video of a walkaround of his bike.

I've always liked his bike. It looks rough and ridden. It is one of the few I have seen that looks good with the stock special tank.The shocks are probably between 13 1/4 and 14 inches with the forks up through the trees a little. As far as your master cylinder, I would rebuild it. But if you want super cheap, I have a working one that you can have for shipping cost. It will need cleaned up and repainted, but it's free.

Thanks for the video, i also agree about the tank, i think he might have lifted it a little maybe but it's hard to tell. anyways, i am interested in your master cylinder, does it come with the brake handle and everything? if so i'll probably take it, Also Is mikes xs a good place to order parts? i am replacing all my cables some have a little roadrash and are just old, plus now that i have clubman bars, they are all way too long, any suggestions on other places?

PM'ed you about the m/c. Mike's is good for most things. I don't know about their cables though. I would by Motion pro's. And make sure you look into a new front brake line.

Their clutch cable is crap, reported to break in as little as 400 miles. All the other cables are OK. Get a Motion Pro or original clutch cable.

love...LOVE that bike. all ive had for two years is a small grainy crappy pictureof it. Its my inspiration for my nextbike. thanks for the link to the video.
I would ride the crap outta that thing!! I bet its loud with those mega's!

Back