Measuring bearings for a All Balls GSXR fork swap?

16vsilverstreak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '75 (12 of 74) XS650. I'm swapping a '03 GSXR fork onto it, hopefully. I contacted All Balls for some guidance on bearings for the swap because they have several sizes listed. I was told to measure the thickness of the bearings. Do I need to measure the ball bearings only or include the races when measuring? Thanks.

I'm doing a 04 gsxr swap and got the all balls 41-6237 kit. In theory just look at the measurements for the xs650 tapered bearings then match the od of the stock bearings the id of the gsxr neck and the height of the stock bearings.

Good luck gentlemen. I did a 06zx6 swap and called all over the place for a tapered bearing system that would work and came up with nothing. I don't know how large in diameter the gsxr steering stem but the zx6 one was way to large to find a tapered bearing that would be small enough to fit into the neck of the xs. I ended up going to a machine shop and having some custom parts milled and ended up pressing my xs steering stem into the lower zx6 triple.

I measured the bearings like allballs recommended. The upper race stuck out at least 3mm. The first set of bearings where 30 ID 48 OD and 15mm tall. The OD and ID are perfect, the height is to tall. I have a set on hand that are 12mm tall. The upper race sits almost flush with the steere tube. I trimmed a 1/4" off the bottom of the steerer. The steerer between the 03 GSXR 750 are the same length but the location of the threads for the retention nuts are lower on the steerer. I'm currently in the process of pressing the new 12mm bearing onto the the lower tree/steerer. I will have an update soon.

Just installed mine and with slight trim to the bottom bearing cup (the xs is excessively deep) all balls 99-3515-5 48x30x12 bearings fit perfectly. Using 06 600 forks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 1,619
Last edited:
Im doing an 80 xs650 and mounting 04 gsxr600 forks, I want to run spoked wheels does anyone know a dual disk hub that will fit. Also has anyone mounted the same forks and if so which bearings did u use. Any help is appreciated

Just out of curiosity, does the front end still oscillate at idle, with these much more rigid forks?
I still have my stock 35 mmfork, but have dropped more than 11 lbs/5 kg from the front end (alloy fender, single 320 mm disc, Brembo caliper, alloy spacers, Ti fasteners, speedo delete) But the fork and wheel still do their number at idle, accompanied by a rattling floating brake disc :)

Back