Mechanical Advance Unit dowel wont stay in place.

ChickenHawk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I used this site quite often when assembling my xs650. Its been a gnarly can of beans this whole time, but I was finally able to get everything together and realized how funky the timing was. Pulled off the right cam cover and the dowel rolled out. Pulled everything out and realized where the dowel sits looks like someone took an ice pick to it.
Anyone ever have this problem, and most important to me, does anyone out there have an idea on the easiest way to fix this?

Engine turn over MAU cant stay in place and slips out of where it is supposed to be.

Thank you much,
-CH

Area I am talking about:

IMG_0571.jpg

What mine looks like, not the best photo, but if you look very closley you can see the darker area where the chunk is.

Mine looked all beat up too.....Advancer flew apart and destroyed itself in there so im sure the the pins being smashed then ripped out of those holes didnt help. I had to dremel them a bit shorter and skinnier to make them fit into the slots on my pamco e advancer cap and even to get it back into the hole in the end of the cam. But mine wouldnt fall through, i think the internal bushes and seals that go inside there are supposed to keep it in. i had a cam from an 81 and the pin would slip in an out. (TCI didnt need the advance parts)

proper fix = replace the camshaft, quick and dirty fix = JBWeld it in... once the jb sets up and the MAU is tightened down it shouldn't move

Back