Mechanical/Electrical tachometers

jimmy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Longtime listener first time caller. I'm away from my bike right now and trying to order some parts. I've got an 81 xs650. I want to buy a mini tach for the bike and want to know if the bikes built after 1980 have electronic tachometers? I've only had the bike for a bit and haven't got right into it yet and didn't notice which it had. Can you put either a electronic or mechanical tachometer on an 81? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

All the tachs are mechanical. An electronic one would work. I don't have any recommendations but am looking forward to seeing them myself.

right on, thanks. I wasn't sure because xs650direct sells an electric tach and it says it works with the 80-84 stock ignition system. I'm just going to go with the mechanical and keep it simple. If any one has any opinions on benefits of an electric tach that would be great.

right on, thanks. I wasn't sure because xs650direct sells an electric tach and it says it works with the 80-84 stock ignition system. I'm just going to go with the mechanical and keep it simple. If any one has any opinions on benefits of an electric tach that would be great.

I guess same general benefits for any electrical gauge vs mechanical. No need to run a cable from the gauge to the motor. However, I would say an electrical gauge has a higher chance of failure vs mechanical...

I guess running cables isnt a big deal on motorcycles, I use electrical gauges in my car so I dont have oil lines running into the car.

The tach runs off your oil pump. So if your machancil tach stops working your oil pump could be gone too. Nice to know if that happens but what's the likely hood of your oil pump failing?

I'm in the process of looking to see if I can adapt a Trail Tech system to my street tracker project....:banghead:

Here is the link if interested ..... http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

vapor-standard-stealth.jpg

thanks for the replies guys, after reading some of the responses I think I should clarify what I mean by electric tach. The actual gauge is a typical mechanical needle gauge but it gets its signal from the ignition pulses. I've included the blurb about it from the site and hopefully a link to the picture. It may have to be copied and pasted, don't know. Any new info on this would be great.

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img250/03-0675.jpg

Electronic Tachometer (operates from Ignition pulses) 0-12,000 RPM
1.9 Dia. (48mm.), Black Face Tach functions only with single dual
output type ignition coils - (80-84 factory Tci).

I have a LA Choppers/Baron's Tach on my Raider. Spendy but beautiful. Its Electrical and install was a breeze. Just 4 wires (to the coil/ground). However depending on your application you might an adaptor that needs to be soldered to the tachs existing wires (easy). I had to use the adaptor on my raider but am not sure if you'd need one on an xs.

One tip though. Keep your original tach on until you've tested the new tach. That way you know if its reading correctly or not. If you need an adaptor and don't use one it may read a thousand or so RPM off.

Back