Metal flake applied manually?

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
is there a way to apply metal flake manually? i'm going to spray the tank with rattle can and i have some silver metal flakes i want to apply afterwards, is there a good way to do this? blowing it through a pen? by hand? got any advice ? thanks

Id buy/borrow a cheap spraygun. If u try to apply it manual, I think you'll find it'll look crap and clump up and the paint will most likely dry before you finish causing the flake to fall off. Normally its mixed with clear.

I'd try a pepper shaker.. You may have to enlarge the holes some, but i'd bet it would work. I'd lay a wet coat of clear then shake some on, then seal with more clear.

this is retarded and embaressing

here's the story:

I had some flake and some glitter..my logic hey glitter is like flake kinda? ok

so i had the tank almost all the way painted..was fixing to apply the clearcoat and call it done, but me being me, i couldn't just leave it alone.

blew a little glitter on it, looked like shit, ended up having to repaint the whole fkn tank again

shortly before Big Daddy Roth died(rip) he released a set up like a blow gun that was made for this. It was to be mixed with clear, then shot thru the special gun, it didnt really have a nozzle. it reminded me of one of those fetilizer sprayer guns for your bushes, but it was all glass, and metal.

You need a bottom feed gun. There cheap and have huge tips the local body shop store here sells the for 30 with the purchase of a can of old school metal flake. There not an interent store and sell local so no link but im sure you can find some thing thru google or egay

Posted via Mobile

I used to get big metal flake bulk and it would blow through a regular pressure gun WFO mixed into clear coat. You actually want the clear coat thinned fairly far with some retarder so the flake lays down. Lightly sand off the loose flakes and standers before you spray over it. Flake mixed in with a couple of coats of candy colors really gives depth because flakes will have varying amounts of color over them.
Yeah I am THAT old!

I still think a pepper shaker would work for light coverage of flake. But here is a picture of my tank on my recent XS650 chopper. Used 'House of Color' large flake mixed in clear coat over black base, through a regular HVLP gun.

pinstripe5.jpg

actually found a copper/orange color of rattle can from dupli color that has some flake in it..i'm really impressed with the results. Ill post pics later

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nnskes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a true flake job is a lot of work. Your base is sprayed, then the flake. The flake is mixing with a non-top coat clear. Several coats are sprayed to your desired effect. Then you spray several or many coats of top coat clear. It will feel like the moon . craters, bumps etc. You have to sand it smooth. I would then hit it with a couple more coats of clear and cut and buff as normal. In other words you need the right materials, the right equipment and understand there is a lot of work. Now you can get a heavy metalflake spray can deal . . . but its not the true flake like was popular in the 60s and 70s . . if that is what you are looking for. Yes I have done a few of these jobs :)

If that size flake makes you happy, then go for it. The flake I'm talking about will not spray from a spray can; too large. One other thing . . I wouldn't take too much advice from that thread :) If you read the entire thread you should see why.

If that size flake makes you happy, then go for it. The flake I'm talking about will not spray from a spray can; too large. One other thing . . I wouldn't take too much advice from that thread :) If you read the entire thread you should see why.

you sir are correct, now i realize what a huge pain in the ass this is going to be, I'm happy with what i have for now..I'd love to have some big chunky flakes but i just dont have the right equipment or patience.

My dad painted hisharley spraycan charcoal hammertone, with black metal flake applied with a pepper shaker, then a couple of coats of clear. It turned out quite well, actually. No fancy equipement needed..

Posted via Mobile

My dad painted hisharley spraycan charcoal hammertone, with black metal flake applied with a pepper shaker, then a couple of coats of clear. It turned out quite well, actually. No fancy equipement needed..

Posted via Mobile

the flakes are way to big for a pepper shaker

Back