Metric circlips who knew

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
While I was working on #4 gear and tightening wishbone clip to stop my starter from grinding etc.I decided to get a new circlip at the local auto parts store
Matched it up to something close put it back on the bike ,hit the starter circlip fell off along with the other washers holding # 4 gear in, put a new one back on figuring the last one I had stretched out same thing
Hit the starter same thing happened :banghead:
To make a short story long I went to the Yamaha dealer and paid 78 cents apiece for metric ones
I just assumed a circlip is a circlip ya put it on and it just tightened up
And while the circlips kept coming off, the wishbone springs tension had loosened up to where the starter didn't want to engage
Anyway I am no longer afraid to take apart the clutch basket etc. AND the starter works great (I'm sure until I get the oil back in and buttoned up)
Live longer learn a little :laughing:

Hi Mikey. I have the same problem and I've thrown hundred$ at the problem to no avail. I ordered that infamous circlip from my local dealer but it's not available until mid November. Does your dealer have them in stock?

Best,
Patrick

Thanks Rusty! Is there a part # I can reference? Or better still, can you mail a couple to me? I'll send cash back!

That's fantastic man. Really appreciated. If you don't mind me asking another question, I've seen references to Metric while I've been hunting. I thought these bikes were cooked up in Japan and I know they used a peculiar sort of metric for fasteners/drivers etc. can you enlighten me on this?

Many thanks!

I think you’re probably referring to JIS, in the case of the XS650 it’s really only screwdriver fitment of the “philips” head screws on the bike. You should pick yourself up a set JIS cross point screwdrivers. Don’t let anyone tell you that the threads are JIS on these bikes, they are not. They’re standard metric.

That's fantastic man. Really appreciated. If you don't mind me asking another question, I've seen references to Metric while I've been hunting. I thought these bikes were cooked up in Japan and I know they used a peculiar sort of metric for fasteners/drivers etc. can you enlighten me on this?

Many thanks!
I think you’re probably referring to JIS, in the case of the XS650 it’s really only screwdriver fitment of the “philips” head screws on the bike. You should pick yourself up a set JIS cross point screwdrivers. Don’t let anyone tell you that the threads are JIS on these bikes, they are not. They’re standard metric.

You're entirely correct Rustie. I remember it now. Let me know if you have any luck finding a clip or two.

Thanks again.

Many thanks!

Rustipyles is mostly correct but if you deal with many things from around the world you will find that somethings like the size of a wrench for say a 6mm bolt can vary depending on if it was a Japanese or European machine.

Actually even some Japanese machines can get confusing. Where I worked we had a Komatsu loader and on it there were 6mm bolts with three different wrench size head!

Back