Mid control options

tom_o

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a lot of the kits for the mid controls for the xs650 have fixed, not folding foot pegs. I'm worried that they will scrape in the corners and cause a high side, especially since my bike is lower than stock. Anyone ever have problems scraping the pegs in the corners?

Thanks austintylerr...

I do a couple options for mids. I sell a complete bolt on set up and I also sell a diy kit for doing a mulligan style set up.

uploadfromtaptalk1362490423360.jpg
Complete bolt on and go mids package
(these bolt to your factory exhaust mounts on the lower rails)

uploadfromtaptalk1362490560225.jpg
I also do these kits that include the tabs, spacers and hardware to turn your stock foot-peg arms into new mids mounts. I also do an exchange program if you are welding challenged.

To answer your question....yes these pegs are fixed, yes you will most likely scrape at some point. I've riden these style of mids on many bikes (all sitting very low) and I have scraped and lived to tell the tale. I'm sure there are non-fixed options out there if you do some hunting.

As far as scraping fixed parts and high siding, that's usually not what happens unless you freak the fuck out when you drag something. My Road Star, for example, has the ground clearance of a damn lawn mower. The floorboards have tabs on them (or more correctly HAD tabs) and I drag the snot out of the boards in corners. When the rear frame extension hits the ground, the rear suspension feel goes away, but it does not lever off the ground as soon as it hits. You would have to have enough roll rate to go right through that point to lever it up, and I don't throw it over like that. I roll in. My SV on the other hand, I throw it down pretty hard sometimes, but I generally am puckered pretty good by the time my Vortex pegs touch down. The stockers had curb feelers about 3/4 inch long on the bottom of them, and they were easy to touch down. I wore out the stock pegs (when you wear out pegs you know you're getting your money's worth out if it!) I switched to the Vortex pegs, and its a significant change in lean angle. I have no chicken strips on the tires, but my self-preservation instinct keeps those from touching down very often.

Check these out. http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/11/mulligan-machine-mids-mod/. You can then use a fold up type of your choice
That looks pretty good, I don't have the factory exhaust mounts anymore so with any of these I'll have to weld on some mounts.

Thanks austintylerr...

I do a couple options for mids. I sell a complete bolt on set up and I also sell a diy kit for doing a mulligan style set up.

I also do these kits that include the tabs, spacers and hardware to turn your stock foot-peg arms into new mids mounts. I also do an exchange program if you are welding challenged.

To answer your question....yes these pegs are fixed, yes you will most likely scrape at some point. I've riden these style of mids on many bikes (all sitting very low) and I have scraped and lived to tell the tale. I'm sure there are non-fixed options out there if you do some hunting.

Those look great, how much do you sell them for?

As far as scraping fixed parts and high siding, that's usually not what happens unless you freak the fuck out when you drag something. My Road Star, for example, has the ground clearance of a damn lawn mower. The floorboards have tabs on them (or more correctly HAD tabs) and I drag the snot out of the boards in corners. When the rear frame extension hits the ground, the rear suspension feel goes away, but it does not lever off the ground as soon as it hits. You would have to have enough roll rate to go right through that point to lever it up, and I don't throw it over like that. I roll in. My SV on the other hand, I throw it down pretty hard sometimes, but I generally am puckered pretty good by the time my Vortex pegs touch down. The stockers had curb feelers about 3/4 inch long on the bottom of them, and they were easy to touch down. I wore out the stock pegs (when you wear out pegs you know you're getting your money's worth out if it!) I switched to the Vortex pegs, and its a significant change in lean angle. I have no chicken strips on the tires, but my self-preservation instinct keeps those from touching down very often.
I was just concerned because the bike sits so low, but I guess it's not a big deal, can finally move forward on the mid controls.

Thanks austintylerr...

View attachment 26971

View attachment 26972

I'm looking for a set of complete bolt on. Do you still make these?

Hey livingdeadmc I sent a message through your website over the weekend....looking to talk to you about options for a set of mid controls for a project. Shoot me a message back when you can please and let me know if there's a number I can contact you at. Thanks.

Back