Might pick up an 83 XS650

Illestrait

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a lurker on this forum for a few years and finally decided to join the club. I came across a bike that may be a good candidate for a bobber which is what I plan on building. My main concern is whether I am paying too much for what it is. I talked him down to $1350

1983 XS650. NOT RUNNING
Issues:
- Bad Battery
- Wiring is unfinished
- Mikuni Carb needs to be tuned or rebuilt
- Registered, but in New York
Goods:
- Hardtailed
- Title in Hand
- Currently Registered

His Ad:
great bike strong engine custom hardtail, rear fender, seat, mikuni carbs, z bars, new headlight pink in hand call for more info 2000obo this weekend only need to sell

That's it. I hear of people buying running 650s for less than a thousand. I can build the bike from scratch, but don't have the money so I'm not concerned about taking it to a shop. Just want to see how you guys feel about this deal.

Thanks!

I would show up and talk money. People are a lot more persuaded when money is in their face. Go check it over and offer him $1000. The bike doesn't run, make sure to do compression test if you can. If not, let him know you don't know what condition the motor is in so you are essentially buying parts.

Thanks for your input Joel. I think I'll do that. I did talk him down from 2000 to 1350, and before that I offered 1200. He couldn't meet me at 12, and he said the best he can do is 1350. I will let him know if I can't do a compression test the most I'll meet him at is $1000. Thanks Joel.

Don't tell him all that until you are in person. Go look at the bike. Note the big negatives and point them out, saying them out loud as if to yourself. Look it over good, befriend the guy, then show him $1000 cash and tell him it's what you have.

Will do. Do you think that'd be a good price for the bike assuming the motor is good and all that is needed is a battery and a fresh tune up on the carbs?

Value is also dependent on local markets. Without knowing where you are I really can't say what the bike might be worth. I have a 1983 XS650 that I ride daily, zip code 27405 and NADA retail for my zip is:

Excellent $1550
Very Good $900
Good $475
Fair $300
Poor N/A

Wholesale will be less.

NADA Website: http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1983/Yamaha/XS650SK-HERITAGE-SPECIAL/Values

Kelly Bluebook same motorcycle

Excellent $1,250

Kelly website: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1983/yamaha/xs650s-heritage-special-650/234532/

These prices are US local averages, they're not 100% correct but they are a good starting place.

Personally, you couldn't buy my XS for $10,000 but that's because it's mine. Your's is always worth less than mine.

PS. Remember: Title in hand means nothing unless the title is registered in the seller's name. A lot of these project bikes get dumped because the builder/seller has screwed up the title work and can't get it fixed. If that is the case the bike is scrap metal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm located in San Diego, CA zip 92126. This guy is actually 2 hours away from me, but a lot of the bikes I see range from $2000-$3000 running in my area. Wasn't lucky enough to see any for 1550 in "excellent condition". Registration is in his name, all that needs to be done is transfer of title to a different state and the actual transfer of title.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm located in San Diego, CA zip 92126. This guy is actually 2 hours away from me, but a lot of the bikes I see range from $2000-$3000 running in my area. Wasn't lucky enough to see any for 1550 in "excellent condition". Registration is in his name, all that needs to be done is transfer of title to a different state and the actual transfer of title.

I can't say for certain but I suspect bikes are a bit higher in Southern California than in North Carolina.

I would say $1350 isnt so bad, but that's assuming it just needs the stuff stated. But I have found that is usually never the case in my experience.

Back