Might rebuild 1979 XS 650 Special. Main bearings are going. How pricey would it be?

RetroYouth

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I found a 1979 Yamaha XS 650 that doesn't run. Owner says "main bearing is going" I'm sure there are a lot more problems than that but for 600 USD I figure I should try to estimate how much repairs are with the help of you fine people.

It would be my first time ever working on a bike, so I've been googling but I still don't really have a range of what this might cost. What do you guys think? Worth a buy?

Good quality crank bearings are very hard to come by. The OEM replacement bearings sadly, have not been made for quite some time. You can get cheap replacement bearings that will work but from what I have read they are not nearly as good as the original bearings. You should be able to find a good running, rideable bike for around $1000 so $600 for one with a bad engine is not a good deal, if it has a title I would say it is worth about $400 unless it has a lot of cool parts on it, and that is if it is in really nice shape. If the bottom end is shot, you can probably count on the top end being shot too, so the motor basically needs everything.

Back