Mikes speedo

mark57

mark57
Reaction score
I recently bought a Mikes replacement speedo,it differs from the original in that it has a sensor that goes down near the wheel hub and three magnetic bolts are supplied in the kit.
I assume these bolts replace some of the original wheel bolts but which ones?
The instructions supplied with the kit only show wiring,not how to install it.
I wrote to Mikes and they sent me another wiring diagram.
Anybody out there tried this kit and know how to install it?
Or where i can find an original type gear driven speedo.
Thanks Mark

Hey Mark,

You will need to most likely create a bracket for the magnetic pickup (sensor) - I used to have Mike's speedo and believe I used the bottom mounting hole on the fork for the brake caliper. The 3 magnetic bolts you received replace 3 of the bolts already in your front brake disc rotor - of which there should be 6. Replace them in alternating patterns so it's evenly spread out: magnetic bolt - non magnetic bolt - magnetic bolt - non magnetic bolt, and so on. The sensor should be about 1/2 - 1" away from the magnetic heads of the bolts and they should pass underneath it..

Also, I don't want to worry you but I found the big mikes electronic speedo (I assume that's what you have) to have a poor quality magnetic pickup sensor.. it's a plastic sensor with cheap thin metal thread around it so it can be screwed into place.. but the threads on mine broke after not many miles.. not a huge issue but was worried it would fall apart. I ended up buying a correct sized thick nut to help hold the broken threads together until I ultimately replaced the entire thing.

Thanks Max,the placement of the magnetic bolts threw me,wasnt sure if they had to go one after another or alternated.The bracket for the sensor is supplied so thats no problem.
Hope to get some pics on here of the rebuild after i get all the parts out of their beer boxes.Thanks again Mate.

Back