Mikes XS

turnertactics

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Please be aware that Mikes XS do not apply import duties to anything they sell. I recently purchased some air box rubbers and was landed with a £14.13 charge by The Royal Mail to cover import taxes and an £8 admin fee. You will need to add these charges on to any purchase fee when you're considering buying anything from them. Their customer services people are totally intransigent in this respect so don't expect any help from them.

I'm not defending MikesXS - but in my experience, buying stuff across national borders is generally risky and often attracts outrageous extra charges.

I know that when I buy stuff from US vendors, I get soaked on brokerage fees and additional Canadian taxes about half the time. Certainly, I wouldn't expect a US vendor to be aware of or include any Canadian taxes or duties in their pricing. We are supposed to have a free trade pact with the US (at least...for now...:cool:) - but it only applies to wholesale and business transactions and not to normal consumer purchases.

I don't know, but I suspect that for a UK buyer like you, a German or Dutch vendor might be a better option because they are within the EU trade block (at least.....for now :love:).

I haven't bought off Heiden Tuning...........i seem to remember a member off here from Aus bought a who heap of gear from them and he questioned the the Tax. Heiden Tuning removed the tax and it equaled the freight charge to Australia.........We don't have to pay GST, (consumption/sales tax), on internet bought sales of less than $1000...........yet

....well, you'd better keep your bunch of clowns in Canberra away from our bunch of clowns in Ottawa.....or the idea will travel.

Please be aware that Mikes XS do not apply import duties to anything they sell. I recently purchased some air box rubbers and was landed with a £14.13 charge by The Royal Mail to cover import taxes and an £8 admin fee. You will need to add these charges on to any purchase fee when you're considering buying anything from them. Their customer services people are totally intransigent in this respect so don't expect any help from them.

And why would they...............this has been mentioned before, as a warning to others to do their homework before buying and complaining

....well, you'd better keep your bunch of clowns in Canberra away from our bunch of clowns in Ottawa.....or the idea will travel.

This is how fuc** silly it is.................A major retailer over here complained and lobbied the government, complaining how that $1000.00 limit was destroying his business so much and he was going to have to shut down stores and lay off staff the Gov't caved to remove the limit, (later this year or early next) so the tax will be on all overseas internet sales, This company, (not a multinational, wasn't going to name them but shit why not......Harvey Norman), also said they tried to compete with the internet and opened up an internet sales site but they couldn't make it work......................Amazon is moving into the Aussie market, bought a building and will be up and running next year...............the same retailer who helped to make the Gov't change the internet sales free limit now says he is not afraid of amazon and it won't affect his business............

Yeah - been there and bought the tee-shirt.

BTW our limit for a simple day-trip across the border to the US is...$0. Nothing at all. If we buy anything beyond that required to operate our cars, we are legally liable to pay taxes and duties on it. Now, as a matter of practicality, the customs officers often waive the fees for small purchases (less than $100) on a short trip - but they don't have to. For trips of 24-48 hours: $200 and the maximum, no matter how long you stay is $800. Again, the border officers often move these limits around - but those are the actual rules - and again, we are supposed to be in a free trade zone with the US - for the last 23+ years. In looking at the limits - everyone knows that if you do bring ANY tobacco or booze across - you WILL be charged the full duty.

There is a cost to being a Canadian, and I'm willing to pay it - but these limits haven't been revised for literally years. Anyhow, FYI, here is the rest of the Canada Customs Guide:

-----------------------------------

Personal exemptions mini guide
For conditions on your personal exemptions and more complete information, see What you can bring home to Canada.

Returning after less than 24 hours
  • There are no personal exemptions for cross-border shoppers.
Returning after 24 and 48 hours
  • You can claim goods of up to CAN$200 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • Tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages are not included in this exemption.
  • If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. You have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
Returning after 48 hours or more
  • You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • You can bring back up to 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of alcoholic beverages or up to 8.5 litres of beer.
  • You can bring back 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.*
  • Some tobacco products*and alcoholic beverages may be included in your personal exemption.
  • If you exceed your personal exemption limit, please see Special Duty Rate.
Returning after 7 days or more
  • You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages with you when you enter Canada, but the rest of the goods can arrive later, as goods to follow.
  • You can bring back up to 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of alcoholic beverages or up to 8.5 litres of beer.
  • You can bring back 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.
  • Some tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages may be included in your personal exemption.
Part of the year outside Canada
  • You are entitled to the same exemptions as above
  • When you import foreign goods or vehicles for your personal use in Canada you must meet all import requirements and pay all applicable duty and taxes.

I haven't bought off Heiden Tuning...........i seem to remember a member off here from Aus bought a who heap of gear from them and he questioned the the Tax. Heiden Tuning removed the tax and it equaled the freight charge to Australia.........We don't have to pay GST, (consumption/sales tax), on internet bought sales of less than $1000...........yet
yep , bought quite a few things off heiden , you only pay vat/ gst or what ever you want to call it from a European vendor if your in the eu area but the price is already built in to heidens prices , I just notify him than I'm in aust (outside the eu) and he adjusts the price ie.throws the freight in for nothing , how that works out compared to the tax I never worked it out but most probably just easier for him ... as for Harvey norman and all the other big biz in aust that want to bring in import gst they should be blackballed by the average consumers , its just pure greed on their part . at the moment we only pay import gst on goods over $1000 , how is that going to send them broke.... arseholes ... by the way this tax exempt thing should apply to any goods bought from a eu vendor if your outside the eu

I bought a custom oil filter replacement (Honda filter) and Heiden's price was better than Mikes shipped to Colorado and got it in 10 days.
I am not concerned about future purchases from Heiden or Asia either. Is it just exports from the US, not imports??

All who ship out of country or trade zone do not have to charge VAT/GST or any local sales taxes
so ask if any are included in the quoted prices. Seller just has to show an invoice that the goods
were shipped out ( no pick up ). Sellers are not responsible for government taxes at destination
and can't imagine why anyone would thing the seller is. Retail is often treated different than
wholesale as governments consider these transactions a pain.

Can't think why anyone would be collecting tax due in a foreign country.
Goods shipped out of the USA or Canada are exempt from in country taxes.

Can't think why anyone would be collecting tax due in a foreign country.
Goods shipped out of the USA or Canada are exempt from in country taxes.
they brought in import tax /gst here in aust on imported goods no matter what price paid .. they also want the seller to charge and send it on to the aust gov if they sell above a certain amount to aust .. how they enforce it got no idea but is charged a lot of times

Back