MikesXS carb parts, FWIW

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of MikesXS Z8 needle jets and a pair of 4M1 jet needles from Mikes. I was under the impression that neither are available any more from Mikuni or Yamaha.

In any case, when they came, both had the Mikuni square-within-a-square symbol stamped on them. Both were in MikesXS packaging, and the needle jet packages said Made in Taiwan on them.

To me this was curious, and I just thought I'd pass it along if anyone wants to comment.

the dealer still sells a lot of xs parts. I always check there first when I want yamaha oem parts.

I get genuine mikuni jets etc. from Niche Cycle supply because I can order all the small parts and only pay a buck or two for shipping, otherwise you're kind of stuck w MMM or mikesxs, or a dealer.

I found that replacing my Mikes parts that came in the rebuild kit with genuine mikuni pieces helped my bike run better.

I was thinking about geting these carbs frome Miles, the ones he has made in tiwan... can anyone that has bought them tell me how the worked and if pleased with them

I agree with you both, but as far as I know, you can't get a Z8 needle jet or a 4M1 jet needle from anybody but Mikes.

I guess what I was trying to say, is that it appears that they are counterfeiting the Mikuni square-within-a-square stamp on these parts. The needle jets can't be genuine because the package says made in Taiwan, and real parts are made in Japan, or so I believe.

Not really complaining, just commenting. I am grateful to Mikes for reproducing these parts.

It's hard to say. A lot of Japanese MFG are having things made in Taiwan. Our Kawasaki Ninja was made in Taiwan.

Yes, I would say if they have the trademark emblem, they are genuine. I can't see ripping off some little part like this. You certainly wouldn't make a mint doing it. The market is just too limited.

Im a big fan of BikeBandit.com for OEM parts..

They have a huge selection with exploded diagrams etc for OEM parts... Prices arent unreasonable either..

Check em out !!

Yes, I would say if they have the trademark emblem, they are genuine. I can't see ripping off some little part like this. You certainly wouldn't make a mint doing it. The market is just too limited.

yea... they would never sell counterfeit parts :doh: learned that lesson. The new owners made it sort of right. Problem is if no one is making it and they send a sample off to be reproduced some times the manufacture clones it right down to all the markings not knowing they are putting the original "makers mark" on it

yea... they would never sell counterfeit parts :doh: learned that lesson. The new owners made it sort of right. Problem is if no one is making it and they send a sample off to be reproduced some times the manufacture clones it right down to all the markings not knowing they are putting the original "makers mark" on it

Exactly. If you look at the needle and nozzle that I am talking about, the square-within-a-square does not look right, nor do the stamped numbers and letters.

A story:
The Navy ship I was stationed on spent 6 weeks in a Japanese dry dock for emergency propeller repairs, which were mostly done by Japanese shipyard workers (who did a great job). During that time, I heard the following story:

A US Navy ship is broken down in Japan because of a massive ring gear with a broken tooth. It will take months to get the part from the US, but the Japanese can make it in a week at one fourth the cost. Neither the Americans speak Japanese, nor do the Japanese speak English very well, but they give the broken ring gear to the Japanese as a model, and explain through a Japanese interpreter that they need a gear exactly like the broken one. A week later, the Japanese give them a brand new ring gear with a missing tooth.

Maybe that's a made-up story, but every single other crazy story that I ever heard in the Navy turned out to be true.

If they were genuine you'd think they'd be in Mikuni packaging and also available elsewhere besides Mike's, unless Mike bought a stash of unpackaged genuine needles. To me it seems the most likely thing is just what you're thinking...

It says on the Mikes site that he had them made special for xs in taiwan.. and is selling them for about half of what he`s getting for original Mikunis

I ordered a pair of MikesXS Z8 needle jets and a pair of 4M1 jet needles from Mikes. I was under the impression that neither are available any more from Mikuni or Yamaha.

In any case, when they came, both had the Mikuni square-within-a-square symbol stamped on them. Both were in MikesXS packaging, and the needle jet packages said Made in Taiwan on them.

To me this was curious, and I just thought I'd pass it along if anyone wants to comment.

Hi... How did these work out for you? was thinking about getting them...

I haven't tried them yet, but I am sure they will be fine. In my opinion, the really critical components that absolutely have to be Mikuni-only, are the float valves and the throttle shaft seals. The non-Mikuni BS38 float valves simply don't seal, and the height of the spring-loaded needle plunger is different too. I also saw a MikesXS BS34 float valve that was no good -- the rubber tip had swollen, so they must not be Viton-tipped, but something else.

I'm still waiting for throttle shaft seals from Powersports Plus. They take forever to ship, like a couple of weeks until your part arrives. So do boats.net, waiting for BS34 float valves for a different bike from them.

Back