mikesxs front brake switch shorting

perkinja

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've ordered Part # 12-0044, looks exactly like the one im replacing except that the plunger on the end is copper instead of plastic. After spending about an hour and a half wondering why i keep blowing fuses i find out that its shorting out on the end of my brake lever as soon as i start my bike.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem with the ones from mikesxs, and what you remedied it with. I've got some duct tape in there right now but i dont see that lasting very long before it just blows another fuse.

Hi perkinja,
the catalog sez it's the correct switch and no, it shouldn't do that.
No matter if the plunger is conductive or not it shouldn't make a connection to the power wire or to the brake light wire in either of the switch positions.
Check the switch by hooking each wire in turn to a 12V bulb and touching the bulb to one terminal of a 12Volt battery and the switch's metal end to the other terminal. If the bulb lights up the switch is defective. If the bulb stays dead the switch is likely OK although you should also check that it works properly by hooking one wire to a 12V battery and the other wire to a 12V bulb connected to the battery's other terminal then clicking the switch plunger in and out to see if the bulb lights up as you click it in and goes out when you let it go. If the switch does all that it's OK but you've got another problem.

Back