MikesXS full size speedo- how does this work?

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of the full size speedos from mikes (the electronic kind). from what I've fathomed, they use a wire sending unit thats attached to a bolt and some replacement bolts for the disc brake and this sending unit bolt gets a signal from the replaced bolts on the disc brake as the wheel turns and shows the speed on the speedo.

Now I'm trying to install this thing and I'm so confused. I emailed mikes for instructions and they said to replace the bottom caliper bolt with the sending unit bolt. Tried this but the sending unit bolt is way too big and the holes on the forks are not threaded and this bolt is completly threaded. Even if it did fit, the bolt is not going to line up with the bolts on the disc.

Does anyone have this speedo on their bike????? I dont even see a way in which this would work. :banghead:

As with all of these "electronic speedos" a pickup is mounted on the fork and a magnet is placed on the wheel in a position that the magnetic field (created by that magnet) passes the pickup once per revolution sending a signal to the speedo.

you need to place the sender in a position where a magnet on the wheel will pass through the pickups field once per revolution.

I have an acewell speedo, I made a small bracket that mounts to the lower disc caliper bolt and using auto double sided tape stuck the speedo pickup to the bracket, on the disc I used a small rare earth magnet (about 1cm diameter) this magnet is placed on an existing disc bolt as I could not get a magnetic bolt to suit. I have the same set up on a CB900 and the magnet stays stuck even at 100mph+

In the Acewell set up you need to determine the distance travelled for one revolution of the wheel and input this figure, don't know about the Mikes speedo but I suspect this will need to be set up as wheels come in different rolling circumferances (spell check please)

hope this helps

The speedo came with a piece of paper instructions but they were only to tell me how to set the wheel circumference.
The speedo came with a pickup attached to a bolt and three magnet bolts. The guy from mikes told me that the pickup bolt was to replace the lower caliper mounting bolt(but its too large) and the magnet bolts were to replace the bolts on the disc. but even if I got the bolt in the bracket it wouldn't line up with the bolts on the disc.

Hopefully I will get an email from mikes. This should work for my bike as I have a 77 and the product is for 77-84

Sounds like it's gonna be a kludge no matter what. I'd send it back.

Hi Guys
Am working thru trying to make my electronic speedo work as well
In order to shorten the cable - i disconnected the supplied plug - shortened the leads - connected in a Deutsch plug in place - followed the original wiring
But she will not play - but have been able to set wheel diameter
On the speedo side of the B plug have Green/Black/ Grey - on the sensor side have Blue /Yellow / Brown
Have asked MikesXS to tell me which connects to which in case I have stuffed up
The speedo came with a piece of paper instructions but they were only to tell me how to set the wheel circumference.
The speedo came with a pickup attached to a bolt and three magnet bolts. The guy from mikes told me that the pickup bolt was to replace the lower caliper mounting bolt(but its too large) and the magnet bolts were to replace the bolts on the disc. but even if I got the bolt in the bracket it wouldn't line up with the bolts on the disc.

Hopefully I will get an email from mikes. This should work for my bike as I have a 77 and the product is for 77-84

Back