Mikesxs fuse boxes

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the replacement fuse boxes mikesxs sells for the xs650 special needs to be soldered at all or is it all crimping? Bikes an `81
I wrote them and asked but haven`t heard anything back yet and kind of want to order it right away. My quick fix let me down (of course) and we were stranded on the side of the freeway for a bit. Fortunately I was able to get it going again enough to limp it home
but it wont be ridden again until I replace that crusted old fuse box and we may still have a few days of riding left here. It`s getting a little chilly but its been pretty dry so far.
Thanks

I guess this the mikes one? does that connector come with it? Could just crimp but I like to solder. Truth is I would be cutting off the 8 pin and direct connect it with solder and heat shrinks.

fuse lights 001.JPG fuse lights 002.JPG

Hi rainycity,
MikesXS fuseblock is a direct replacement for the original old-fashioned glass tube fuseblock.
If you are happy with that, fine.
Most folks who's stock fuseblocks have failed are replacing them with fuseblocks that use modern mini fuses.

I have installed a couple of them and they work fine. The pins are crimp type and require a special crimper. I'll make another post when I remember what it's called. A proper crimp connection is better than a solder connection, but it has to be done properly with the correct tool. Mike's used to sell one for cheap that works well enough.

Jettech,
Oh, okay, I went to that site and looked at what it was and one of the sparkys here at work said he has one I can borrow.
I said well, just bring it by the house and stick around a bit and show me how to "use it properly" about 5 times., *lol*
You teach A and P for a college or the military?

I guess this the mikes one? does that connector come with it? Could just crimp but I like to solder. Truth is I would be cutting off the 8 pin and direct connect it with solder and heat shrinks.

View attachment 58649 View attachment 58650

Gary,

Better than solder would be high temp butt splices and heat shrink. Long term, it's a better connection.

high_temp_non_insulated_butt_splice.JPG

31HW1NRVTYL.jpg

Yeah I was around GA for a while and the industry hates solder. But It's my goto for permanent connections. I try to avoid letting the solder wick up the wire very far. That seems to be the issue that aviation doesn't like a long wick up creates a new stress/place for the wire to break. Besides XS650s don't vibrate.....

Yeah I was around GA for a while and the industry hates solder. But It's my goto for permanent connections. I try to avoid letting the solder wick up the wire very far. That seems to be the issue that the aviation doesn't like a long wick up creates a new stress/ place for the wire to break. Besides XS650s don't vibrate.....

You da man! :thumbsup:

This may help somebody.

Yep, We are pretty picky about what we solder here on the birds. I look at probably 10-20 splices a day and only look at maybe a solder or two a month even though we have guys here that can solder pretty dang good but we still crimp and then just melt a protective moisture proof over the top of the splices which is what I`m going to do I think. I`ll just have one of the sparky`s give me a couple of moisture proof splices.
I dont solder much it at all even though I had take a course and do know how, just never do it beings how its my job to look at them and make sure they are done per spec and NOT to do them. (Theres a reason for that *lol*).

I dont solder much it at all even though I had take a course and do know how, just never do it beings how its my job to look at them and make sure they are done per spec and NOT to do them. (Theres a reason for that *lol*).

It has been a while, but I'm a NASA trained solderer. That's why I don't do it. I know very well how much I suck at it.

Well it's not rocket science... :wink2:

I'm here to tell you, it can be. I also admit that I can get so carried away with how I'm going to do a job that I don't get to it at all. Like you say, we aren't going to fly it.

FWIW, I have a redo of a bad solder job on my short list for one of my bikes. I did the bad solder job myself a few years ago. I'll be replacing the wire using uninsulated butt splices and heat shrink. Like I said, I suck at soldering.

I agree with Marty, it sure can be, *lol*
By the way, that fuse box from Mikes came yesterday,
i`m very happy with it, seems like its made out of good materiel,
came with a snap down lid, fuses and even had a new battery cover with it,
and came mostly assembled already, and not to mention,
(no soldering needed, thank goodness) hehehe
Will be replacing the old one today after work

Back