MikesXS Grips Problems (video)

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
FYI:

I'm guessing that these are a defective anomaly as no one in their right mind would manufacture or sell a product designed this way. I'm waiting on a reply from MikesXS. I will update this thread when I receive a response.

- Adam

I have found the stock rubber parts are a good thing to save, you can put them back on after the new rubber you just bought from mikes does not work out so well. Sadly, my experience anyway.

You should have a look at the throttle inner sleeve....................thats the white plastic cylinder that the grip goes over. My friend has an 80 XS650, and his throttle never worked right................it was stiff, not free to rotate. I looked at it and found that a large piece of the white plastic sleeve had broken off. As a result, the outer rubber grip was dragging on the metal handlebar.

If your inner sleeve is still intact, then its just a poorly made grip. Yes, some of Mikesxs rubber parts are bad. I did buy my rubber grips from Mikesxs and they work just fine.

I have an aftermarket throttle on there. It's not the smoothest device, but it's definitely not the problem. The grip is completely seated on the throttle. The grip is not sliding or lacking adhesion to the throttle. The grip is made of two separate pieces of rubber that are disconnected, except at one end, the end on the inside of the bar. When the grip is rotated, only the outer sleeve/piece of rubber turns, for a half turn, until the tension is great enough on the connected end to turn the inner piece. Make sense?

So there are two sleeves of rubber that make up the grip? The "inner" sleeve that gets glued to the throttle sleeve has separated from the "outer" rubber sleeve? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what is going on here because the video just looks like a grip that was slid over the throttle sleeve without glue.

Ah.. I see you posted as I was typing.. So I was right about the design and your post cleared it all up for me. Definitely sounds like a defective grip. I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Well....I just received/bought these same grips. Will see eventually if they work. Gonna RAGE if not...(okay not rage but ya know).

Interested to see how MikesXS handles this.

Woke up to an email from MikesXS that the grip is defective and that they will be sending me a replacement. Whoa! The new owners are actually providing prompt customer service? This is great!

Fyi there is a guy on egay that sells those style that are 1960's Nos grips and they are fantastic. I think I paid like 28 with shipping. Its crazy the package is all old and faded and it comes with grip glue in a GLASS vial (dried up). He must have came across a warehouse of them or something but the quality is unlike anything you can find new today.

Fyi there is a guy on egay that sells those style that are 1960's Nos grips and they are fantastic. I think I paid like 28 with shipping. Its crazy the package is all old and faded and it comes with grip glue in a GLASS vial (dried up). He must have came across a warehouse of them or something but the quality is unlike anything you can find new today.

Are you going to share:shrug:

Yes, those are original Granturismo grips. I've used them many times over the years. Made in Italy - they'll make you go faster, lol.

And they are so comfortable, there filled with something like sand. Squishy yet firm,just how I like them.lol

Back